Cleaning small sieze marks barrel and piston?

FREE tuning and maintenance info, plus links to our original tuning pages that started it all off.
eadmr04

Just stripped the top end on my missus GP and it looks like it might have had a small nip up in the past, nothing too drastic. What's the best way to clean up the sides of the piston and few small marks in the barrel?
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

some fine wet and dry paper 400 grade, and wd40 or turps and just rub them out, on both barrel and piston, as recomended by dave webster in the lambretta tuning manual
mr oppinionated
Main scooter: GTS300ie

You could also drill some 1/2 to 1mm holes in the piston directly beneath the bottom ring on the part where the heart caused the siezure. I have done this many times, it's a trick I got from a dirt bike tuning manual. It helps to keep the piston cool at the very point where it gets hot.

Mike
hungdog

mr oppinionated wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:22 pm You could also drill some 1/2 to 1mm holes in the piston directly beneath the bottom ring on the part where the heart caused the siezure. I have done this many times, it's a trick I got from a dirt bike tuning manual. It helps to keep the piston cool at the very point where it gets hot.

Mike
Never heard of that before
mr oppinionated

I had it published as a tip in Scooter Scene many years ago. Sticky added that you can also score hash marks with a file if you didn't want to drill the holes. However, I found that the holes are better at the job.

Mike
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

mr oppinionated wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:22 pm You could also drill some 1/2 to 1mm holes in the piston directly beneath the bottom ring on the part where the heart caused the siezure. I have done this many times, it's a trick I got from a dirt bike tuning manual. It helps to keep the piston cool at the very point where it gets hot.

Mike
How many holes Mike, and how far apart?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

jumping in- I've done this for many years as well. Generally 2 holes about 2 mm wide and I countersink them as well by a few twists of a larger drill. Make sure they are below the bottom ring, and not where the exhaust port is (mark the piston at BDC) Drill them either side of the exhaust port position.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

heres one I did earlier- this has 3 holes near the base of the piston on the exhaust side. When the piston is travelling up and down the holes do not enter the exhaust area.Image
Scootering since 1968.
mr oppinionated

The method I follow is the one from the two stroke tuning manual. Usually, you would only need two holes, just beneath the piston rings. It really depends upon where your piston is over-heating.....you have to wait for that to happen (you don't need a siezure to see it) before you know where the piston is getting hot.
Pistons usually overheat towards the top, as that's closest to where all the heat from combustion occurs, causing the piston to expand a little (or a little too much !!) as well as the friction element.
I have found that it usually occurs on the exhaust side.
You really don't need anything larger than 1mm, but 1/2mm should do it. I agree with shallow counter-sinking, but only to remove any sharp 'edges'...you could also run a thin hack-saw blade across the holes to allow the fuel to move away from the holes easier.
I have never seen any holes drilled at the bottom of a piston before, so cannot comment on whether that method is of any value. I can only say that over heating pistons became a thing of the past for me....provided the engine was well setup of course.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Cleaned up a T5 barrel recently using spirit of salt to take the smearing off the barrel. Soak it into some sort of paper towel and let it rest on the smeared Aluminium then rinse off with water.

Odd rubs with fine emery to take the last of it off and a final rinse in petrol.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information