Imola gearing

FREE tuning and maintenance info, plus links to our original tuning pages that started it all off.
Simon lambretta
ebay user ID: Larrygrayson123
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi, I’ve just bought a imola kit, and I was thinking about saving up for a af 5 speed gearbox.Would it be worth buying,or stick to li50 gearbox.cheers Simon

Simon lambretta

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:16 pm

Any body out there

holty
ebay user ID: amholt123
Main scooter: lambretta gp

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:50 pm

genral rule is your final drive ratio is dictated by your choice of pipe, that been said im just building one of these with an af close ratio 4 speed box and im going for a 5.1/1 ratio to make sure it can rev enough, its getting a 60mm crank so I can lower the port timings a bit to get a more rideable engine, often the port timings are very high on imolas and make for a very peaky engine which can be not much fun to ride, ive got a pm pipe which is a revvy pipe. I know they do a short 5th gear version of the af 5 speed which will probably go well with an imola as long as you get your sprocket choice right.

Simon lambretta

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:47 am

Thank you

Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:40 pm

As Holty has said, gear requirement will go hand in hand with pipe choice... and pipe choice will need to go hand in hand with how you like to ride / what you intend to use it for. Without more details it is very hard to give you any advice that would be worth listening to. An Imola with a revvy pipe will require different gearing to the same motor fitted with a low revving expansion, and same goes for low revving or high revving clubman.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information