hey.. new but courius Li150 S2 upgrade tips needed!

NEW MEMBER? - You must now introduce yourself here first BEFORE you can post in any other section!

Say hello and let us know a bit about you and what scooter you own, etc...THEN you will be able to post elsewhere.
kourabies
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s2

Hallo to everyone. i have a S2 Li150 1962. when i bought it i had some issues. sometimes engine went off and had to wait till it would start again. issue solved after i upgraded with bgm stator 12v, jetex 22mm carb, bgm clubman v4 exhaust. i also put a pair of front dampers on. now i this its time to make some more upgrades. i ve already purchased an indian 200cc cylinder kit that needs boring and new piston (aluminium shirt - metal cylinder inside), a Leeds ltd 185cc performance polished ports cylinder kit brand new. the dealer ensured me that is a plug n play kit and ports are matching. i also have a 25mm dellorto (used). i was thinking for gp crankshaft. maybe an original gp crankshaft or something else. maybe you could propose me something. i dont know about what conrod - stroke lenght to choose. gp tamper flywheel. maybe a little lighter than standar. also stronger springs and better plates for clutch. will i need gearing up or could let the existing? i dont want to race but i want to have a reliable engine to for everyday use and a good crusing speed with good power to climb some hills if necessary. so thanks again for letting me join and looking forword for any ideas or something.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Hi there. So many questions. It's difficult to know where to start. Have you tried local Lambretta clubs?
kourabies

ohhh yes. here we have only 1 club. one or 2 guys i asked they tried to help me but the couldnt help me more. i tried by reading different posts in different forums. also in facebook pages and youtube as well. till now couldnt find answers to help me decide for all these.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Welcome aboard

Try split the questions up into threads in the Lambretta Tech section
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Call AF Rayspeed and describe what you have and listen to what they say.
A GP crank is a good buy, you will need a GP flywheel to go with it (and the right bearings). The electronic ignition is a very good buy.

Changing the cylinder and piston is a bit of a minefield - it's a good idea to buy something that has been checked over by a dealer. The carb is an absolute minefield - you will need the right size jets in the carb for your cylinder and exhaust. This is critical. There are jetting how-to's online but it's best if you can find someone who has tuned two-stroke engines to help.

Lastly, what are your expectations. A 150 Lambretta will do 50 mph all day long, but 60 mph will require a decent kit of some kind. Any more than that and you are into a world of performance parts (and new brakes!).
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

What does "courius" mean :oops:
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

All I can say about aluminium 186cc cylinders with steel liners is that every one I have had my hands on have had really bad ports, especially exhaust which can only be cured properly by using a 60mm or longer crank, plus packers, port work etc. I'd save money by buying rt195.
kourabies

hendy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:42 pm All I can say about aluminium 186cc cylinders with steel liners is that every one I have had my hands on have had really bad ports, especially exhaust which can only be cured properly by using a 60mm or longer crank, plus packers, port work etc. I'd save money by buying rt195.
as i saw in forums and youtube either the rt195 is plug and play....
kourabies

EddieStone wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:01 pm Call AF Rayspeed and describe what you have and listen to what they say.
A GP crank is a good buy, you will need a GP flywheel to go with it (and the right bearings). The electronic ignition is a very good buy.

Changing the cylinder and piston is a bit of a minefield - it's a good idea to buy something that has been checked over by a dealer. The carb is an absolute minefield - you will need the right size jets in the carb for your cylinder and exhaust. This is critical. There are jetting how-to's online but it's best if you can find someone who has tuned two-stroke engines to help.

Lastly, what are your expectations. A 150 Lambretta will do 50 mph all day long, but 60 mph will require a decent kit of some kind. Any more than that and you are into a world of performance parts (and new brakes!).
maybe the indian 200cc cyl with a small bore (66,2? 66,4?) and a piston with window as boost good be a good choice? with lth reed valve kit and a mec or tameni 60 crank with gp taper. i know i will have to change flywheel as well... i wont tune the carb myself!
coaster

kourabies wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:04 am

maybe the indian 200cc cyl with a small bore (66,2? 66,4?) and a piston with window as boost good be a good choice? with lth reed valve kit and a mec or tameni 60 crank with gp taper. i know i will have to change flywheel as well... i wont tune the carb myself!
I am a bit confused, you say you have an Li150 which is a small block engine so the Indian 200 cylinder wont fit as the studs are in a different position :? Thats a shame as it would be a good plan but find a suitable piston with the windows already in place first and then get the cylinder bored to suit. The LTH reed valve might need some of the fins to be cut back for clearance but easy job with a grinder. You will need the head re-profiled to suit the increased bore and piston crown.

The 186 Ally/steel barrel will fit your case but as already said, the ports can be all over the place. Dealers can 'tidy' the ports a little but polishing achieves nothing and 'matching' will require the cylinder AND the barrel to be worked on. There are a number of very good small block 185 kits out there, the RT195 has its fans and there is also the GT 186 reed valve cast iron cylinder kit made in the UK which would give you the performance you need plus being very reliable. This will be more expensive in the short term but believe me, it will save you much grief and expence in the long run 8-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information