Gearbox Rebuild

NEW MEMBER? - You must now introduce yourself here first BEFORE you can post in any other section!

Say hello and let us know a bit about you and what scooter you own, etc...THEN you will be able to post elsewhere.
Choleric eric
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 175

<t>I am restoring and upgrading a 1962 Li125 . Fitted 150 cylinder bored out to 175. Old gearbox was shot so bought Indian 175 box. Changed all bearings and seals . All went well until I fitted the end plate and as soon as I started to tighten the bolts the gearbox became so tight it is almost impossible to turn. Have tried many times to fix the problem but without success. Any ideas please. Am I missing something obvious? I have run out of options!
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Had a similar problem. Turned out there was a slight cast burr in the bottom of the hole the xmas tree sits in. Cleaned the burr (2 minute job) and fitted perfectly.

All a bit strange as the engine was a 50 year old Italian casing which had several gearboxes fitted previously ?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Welcome aboard.

Try fitting the clutch centre and nut and tighten down to see what happens. This can pull the cluster up into the bearing.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Have you fitted new bearing track in end plate?

If so, make sure it's pressed fully home.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information