Electronic ignition vs. standard ignition for standard GP150

NEW MEMBER? - You must now introduce yourself here first BEFORE you can post in any other section!

Say hello and let us know a bit about you and what scooter you own, etc...THEN you will be able to post elsewhere.
Lady lambretta
Main scooter: LBrett go150

I was just wondering what the opinion was over converting a standard ignition to an electronic ignition on a standard GP 150.
Does it give me a lot of extra benefits.
Although its been stood for a few now it was a reliable lambretta before Thanks in advance
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Welcome aboard.

Electronic ignition is often described as 'fit and forget'. In some respects this is true in that your timing will be fixed and won't need adjusted like points would over their lifetime as the heel wears. Also you'll probably benefit from better lighting as modern electronic list are 12V.

They are not without their issues though, and failures of pickups and LT coils are not unheard of.

Points, if set up correctly and well maintained can provide reliable ignition, but it's fiddly to be adjusting and gapping them routinely.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

If you decide to do rallies and long ride-outs, if needed, you'll probably find it easier to find spares amongst other riders for the electronic than the points.
Daggs

There is usually an element of two camps when it comes to this conversion.
Some say points worked fine for donkey's years, why interfere.
Others say, 12V lighting is (slightly) better and the ignition side needs no maintenance.
I've come down on the 12V Conv. side. But recognise there are some reliability issues. On a long journey I carry a back-up cDi just in case, as I have experienced a failure once (though I limped home without changing it on that occasion) If a stator works fine for the first couple of hundred miles. In my experience it is unlikely to fail.
Lady lambretta
Main scooter: LBrett go150

Thankyou
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information