Clearcoat over cellulose / Ik ??

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

This being my first real attempt at a spray job , have spent months prepping my TV`s bodywork and sprayed it last week with cellulose . After lots of little fixes and leaning curves its now looking pretty good after a polish .
Should I clearcoat it though ? and with what . I don`t have an air fed mask so want to really stay away from 2k in general .
I had great service from Martin Brown for the basecoat paints and they do this ???

https://martinbrownpaints.com/Clear%20- ... arch=clear
Steveshipley
Main scooter: Sx150

I tried my hand at painting same as you using cellulose. looked ok (ish) for a 1st attempt. but it's very brittle and chips so easily. not sure if that's down to me and method, but if I did it again I'd definitely clearcoat on top.
nellyboyo

Yes, cheers mate, I`m worried about chips and petrol /oil contamination ....You`d think you could get a definitive answer off t`internet,,,,,, but no :)
Steveshipley

my pal did celly, then 2k clearcoat and it's awesome. no prob with petrol or oil but it just chips easy. mine's to brittle but that might be me.
coaster

You certainly can apply clearcoat over celly and it will give you an amazing wet look shine, BUT if you use single pack lacquer if WILL dissolve on contact with petrol, know though bitter experience. Celly does mark quite easily but it is VERY easy to touch up invisibly and with a bit of elbow grease yopu can achieve a mirror finish providing you applied enough coats and your primer was well flatted prior to top coating. Block sand with 1200, 1500, 2000 wet with soap. Then Ferecella G3 followed by a good colour restorer (mcGuires is good) and keep polishing until you can see you reflection. Finish off with a good carnuba wax.
Celly might mark with petrol but it will polish out. Acrylic will softnen and come off on the paper towel if you wipe it away!
nellyboyo

Cheers for the replies boys....I think I`m going to take the 2k clearcoat plunge....I didn`t want to go 2k to start off on my first proper spray job as It seemed more difficult to fix cock ups ...
Apparently any runs in the clearcoat can be flatted out and polished up again....All my scoots are completed covered in petrol , oil and grease so it seems the only way to go ....
coaster

nellyboyo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:34 pm Cheers for the replies boys....I think I`m going to take the 2k clearcoat plunge....I didn`t want to go 2k to start off on my first proper spray job as It seemed more difficult to fix cock ups ...
Apparently any runs in the clearcoat can be flatted out and polished up again....All my scoots are completed covered in petrol , oil and grease so it seems the only way to go ....
Oil and petrol won't do any long term damage to the celly and even it it did, its simple to give the area a light sand and spray some more celly over the affected area, then cut back with the G3 and polish. viola, invisible repair. Try doing that with 2K
Steveshipley

agree, oil and petrol don't damage my celly finish.
nellyboyo

Steve, so you have no clearcoat at all ???
Wax ??? anything ??
Steveshipley

hi sorry for delay.
no clearcoat, just flatted the celly paint and then waxed and polished with Megulars car wax.

it's easy to touch up, just a pain that it chips easily
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information