Reframing

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
hungdog

Does anyone know how you would go about " legally" reframing a scooter so to keep the original reg with DVLA, using a new hand built frame :ugeek:
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

the only way i could see that you could do it would be to build the scooter up on the old frame, mot and tax and insure it, i presume its registered, then swap the frames around, you can buy a bare lambretta vin tag and just stamp the number on it, it would be advisable to keep the old frame to prove its yours, if any questions were asked later, why a custom built frame ?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

How much of the original frame do you need to use to maintain its original status? 3 feet; 2 feet; 6 inches; just the VIN area??

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
hungdog

[quote=holty post_id=299025 time=1503863878 user_id=5321]
the only way i could see that you could do it would be to build the scooter up on the old frame, mot and tax and insure it, i presume its registered, then swap the frames around, you can buy a bare lambretta vin tag and just stamp the number on it, it would be advisable to keep the old frame to prove its yours, if any questions were asked later, why a custom built frame ?
[/quote]

For the added strength and less weight
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

bristolmod wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:23 pm How much of the original frame do you need to use to maintain its original status? 3 feet; 2 feet; 6 inches; just the VIN area??

Chris
if the frame in question is not registered then it could be a problem registering it as sometimes they will inspect it, though not allways,if they dont like what they see, they wont issue a registration document and your project is up the swanny, if it is registered then no problem, but might be worth adding a visable vin tag for your mot man to see, and the boys in blue, if you get stopped at some time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information