Paintwork scratch's easy

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
mr mugello

New paintwork. Looks great first impressions. Asked and was told it would be in solid two pac finished with a clear coat, as this is what he like to use on older motors and restorations. When polishing it is easy to get scratch marks and swirls in the coat. When rebuilding scoot I scratched the rear light unit badly, hold my hands up my fault with a screwdriver. I used a Meguiars Ultimate compound, clear coat safe, to try to remove scratch, but this removed the top clearcoat to show a matt black base colour, which had to be taken back to be resprayed ! I thought solid two pac was less prone to scratching. What would be causing my paint to scratch easy ? Anyone else had similar issues .Thanks.
fluff34567

Clear coat stays soft for quite a while so I would certainly avoid any form of polishing for a few weeks at the earliest. Clear coat over a single colour top coat is a bit odd IMHO.
mr mugello

He mentions the use of high solid 2k laquer over top of water base colour. Been several months. Paint marks so easy. Is black though. If he has used modern water based laquer, could this be the reason why ?
fluff34567

I have sprayed water based paints and laquer recently and it's hard after a week. You can feel the difference with your finger nail.

I use black as a guide coat when blocking after using filler primer but only to show the high low points.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

I've just painted a set of forks and front mudguard in 2K Ford ST orange with a 2K clearcoat on top. It was hard enough to cut and mop polish after 72 hours. I went by the manufacturers recommended mix ratio and dry times. If the wrong ratio of clear to hardener was used then it'll never be hard enough to polish. If anything a clearcoat should be harder than any paint finish.
mr mugello

I feel it's waste if time going back to sprayer. Now bikes rebuilt. He's got all the excuses under the sun, from previous issues. Won,t be recommending or using again.
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

As mentioned before any 2K lacquer should set hard within 48-72 hours, there are a few reasons it may still be soft, wrong mixing ratio, mixing lacquer/hardener types (HS lacquer and MS hardener/thinners etc.) If it's a HS lacquer, was it baked or air dried, some HS lacquers need to be baked to cure properly
Lacquering a solid base colour is the norm nowadays with water based, but personally I prefer to do clear over base rather than solid colour with solvent/2k paint even with solid colours
do you know the actual lacquer that was used ?
mr mugello

No mate. Clear coat is ultra thin as I have found out. Using meguiars scratch x instead of their ultimate compound, which gets the fine marks out ok. Just feel I have to be so careful when cleaning, as a soft cloth even puts the marks back in if used with too much pressure. I just got all the talk of how it is baked on solid and will buff up fantastic from them. Stand went back last week with large flakes coming away. Dreading if this happens to main frame. He blamed that on oxidation on the stand . Nothing they done wrong !
Steve t

Sounds to me like they've used 1k clear coat. 2k clear over base is as hard as nails when fully dry you should be able to flat 2k with 1200 wet and dry and buff back up to a shine if it's soft with your finger nail somethings wrong. sorry it sounds like bad news
mr mugello

Not good. Can't see me getting any recourse . Looks like I'm snookered with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information