Bare metal pre paint rust worry

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
mr mugello

Having taken ages to remove old paint, rust from frame and parts to clean bare metal, I have taken my parts to sprayer. The thing I'm concerned with is it may be a couple of weeks before he get's round to primer he mentioned, so I'm worried about rust flashing up. He does not seem too bothered about. Am I being too cautious ?
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I'm sure he has a warm dry paint shop, in which case your bits will be fine. Worst case scinario you could end up with localised areas of flash rust, if he's a decent fellow he will remove this before primer but in any case it would still be ok.
mr mugello

Thanks scooterdude. His garage is ice cold where the parts are sitting, only little heat where he actually sprays. I have spent ages getting to every nook to remove rust. He only sprays spare time and concerned about it sitting there over Christmas without a primer. I did query and he mentioned he would have to rub down before spray, but he ain't going to be too fussy I feel.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

You could keep them until he needs them.
mr mugello

I think that's what I'll mention. Just feel a right messer going back. I must have put nearly 50 hours of work to get scoot to this stage of prep and don't want to screw it up.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

This time of year any bare metal will start to rust very quickly with the damp cold air , it would be best to prime straight away .
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Why dont you put a coat of primer on the bare metal parts before you let the painter have them.
mr mugello

I thought about doing this. Will be collecting parts tomorrow now. Never sprayed before though. I take it would need a sand over before applying primer paint to key ?
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

If you've never sprayed before forget it considering the time it's taken you so far. Get your bits back and take them back the day before he plans to prime em.
mr mugello

Best bet. Thanks chaps
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information