2K paint mask.

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
Grant McLachlan
Main scooter: Indian GP RT 225

Hi folks' I'm going to be spraying my latest project an 1965 LI 125 in 2k. advice on full face non air fed masks' and filters appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

We have found the 3m 4277 to be very good and give good protection. One of the contracts we used to do about ten years ago was to blast and paint portable diesel tanks that go with those generators that get hired out to events etc, anyway these were put in a very low building for painting that had no ventilation, these masks were brilliant and even though the air was full of paint mist/ fumes we couldn't detect anything getting through, but towards the end we switched over to using the air fed blasting helmet as your body can't digest or get rid of the iso-sinate based polyurethane we were using.
Two things, make sure your clean shaven (otherwise the mask won't seal) and don't be tempted to save money by using those white paper things.
Grant McLachlan

Thanks for your reply scooterdude ! I'll have a look at them.
coaster

I did the same when I sprayed my Jet a few years ago, I also made sure the area had a through flow of warm air, very important this time of year or the paint will 'bloom'. Good idea to wear a one piece disposable, gloves and goggles as iso-cynates are absorbed through your skin and eyes
Grant McLachlan

Thanks for reply coaster, I've got the disposable suits and gloves, not sure what what I'm going to do about heating yet. Don't like googles, in the past I've found they always fog up on me and don't sit right with a half face mask, so ideally I'd like to get a full face mask with the appropriate filters and disposable face shields. Like you said got to be careful 2k is nasty stuff and finds an easy route through the eyes and into the body.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

If your not familiar with spraying and want to make a good job (obviously) your going to struggle with a face shield if you've not used one before, it'll only take a bit of overspray on the visor and you'll not to be able see properly. In fairness if your only spraying a scooter your going to be fine with the respirator I mentioned earlier.
Regarding the heater, I'd hire a "red rad" for a few days to keep the temperature above dew point, remember it's moisture in the air that will cawse blooming.
Grant McLachlan

Thanks scooterdude, this is my first time with 2k though I did spray my everyday Lambretta around 8 years ago with acrylic, got a good result that has lasted well but that was in the height of summer. In the early days I;ve also sprayed cellulose(very easy IMO). Circumstance and a desire to get this one ready for the Euro next year has found me in the unenviable situation of winter spraying. Have done a bit of research to familiarise myself with pressures, mixes, flash times and overlaps etc. I will check out local hire companies tomorrow regarding the Red Rad . Like the results and longevity of 2k but the stuff makes me nervous.
coaster

You will need to keep the heat on while the panels dry too, at least an hour or so or better still bring them in the house.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information