Paint strip frame

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
mr mugello

On stripping the old paint off my scoot I have found the stripper is removing the top coat off but having trouble removing a grey undercoat/primer. I paint stripped the the same frame 20 years ago to shift the original paint, no really probs. Not sure what the painter used on this, just 2 pack comes to mind, I think. Paint remover is heavy duty. Undercoat seems quite thin, but stripper seems to leave this behind even with more coats added. I feel like I wish I had it blasted with the time spent. What would remove this ? Acetone or laquer thinner any good ? :)
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I'd say get it blasted (but then I would wouldn't I?) your never going to get it perfect otherwise but if you want to try something else try cawstic soda, I'm not saying it will definitely shift it but worth a try.
mr mugello

I would, but not got a blaster in my area that has got any good recommendations for Lambretta work. The one there is, only wants to powdercoat ,I'm told.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Don't get it powder coated whatever you do!
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

The stripper they sell nowadays is rubbish.
Mechanical methods worked best for me , my s2 had been 2 pac`d and the blaster wouldn`t touch it . Took ages with wire wheels and flap discs
mr mugello

Got mine from a local car body paint suppliers. State's on side .for professional use only, but they let me have it. Lol. Just like the old stuff. I'm thinking the primer is etch primer. Acid in the paint mix to key in with bare metal, sticks like s**t to a blanket.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information