Paint strip petseal

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
mr series 2
Main scooter: LI 150 Ser 2

storkfoot wrote:
Herman wrote:I've tried cleaning the inside of a standard rusty tank with paint stripper, nuts and bolts and a whole lot of shaking. Although I managed to remove a fair bit of rust, flakes and gunk, I ended up having to buy another tank and seal that. Seemed to be a false economy to try to sort the old tank out and really wasn't working very well.
Cleaning a tank is pretty straightforward and cheap, albeit that you have to be very careful with caustic soda and spirit of salts. However, removing petseal is not the same process.

Trust me, the Petseal remover does work and will save another perfectly serviceable tank being tossed into the corner of the shed ;)
+ 1 Brilliant stuff well worth using
mr mugello

Thanks. Will give it a go. Where's the best place to get the product s for strip and reseal from.
mr series 2
Main scooter: LI 150 Ser 2

mr mugello

Just an update with removing the old sealer. I used a heavy duty paint stripper from a local car body shop. It managed to soften and remove the old sealer. The problem I have now is trying to remove the paint stripper completely from my tank ! Rinsing out with hosepipe cannot completely shift it clean. Is there a solvent to take it out ? What is best to use before trying to reseal again ? I feel like cutting my losses and just buying a new tank .
mr mugello

I have got the old sealer out with a strong paint remover. I have tried flushing out with a hose to remove tacky residue of remaining stripper to no avail. Can anyone reccommend what cleaner I am best to use now that will shift this, before using the sealer kit such as POR 15. The kit includes a metal cleaner as part of the treatment process, but not sure that this is any good for the paint stripper shifting .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information