What am I doing wrong

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

I`ve just just tried my hand at the whole panel beating and spraying thing on my s2. so I`m a beginner.
Learnt loads ( like satin black is a swine to spray ) , but the paint just doesn't seem to want to take to my oiltek cut down rear foot boards. I roughed them up a bit , etch primered them , then primered and sprayed and lacquered but the paint is coming off with the petrol a bit now.
They are steel but there's something about them the paint doesn't like ?
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Paint hardened off and petrol resistant lacquer ?
nellyboyo

Yes to both, I bought resistant lacquer deliberately ..
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

I have found very few true Petrol resistant Lacquers in spray cans. It gives a nice shine but just washes off. Some one may know of better ones I used the Halfords one and others in the past. spoke to a guy at Colourtone and he didnt have anything better even the ones marked 2 pack are not true 2 pack as they would set in the can.
coaster

You need 2k lacquer, you can buy it on ebay. The can had an activator underneath that releases the hardener and means that the contents of the can will go solid within about 24 hours at room temperature. However, if you put it in the fridge it will remain usable for a least a week (turn it to the lowest setting). Worked for me

You will need a 2k compatible mask though, disposable ones are also available from ebay, usually twin filter jobbies but do make sure 2k is mentioned. Mine is a 3M one.
nellyboyo

Cheers for that boys , I've found that now I've done a bit of spraying..... I want to go back and improve what I've already done .
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

nellyboyo wrote:I`ve just just tried my hand at the whole panel beating and spraying thing on my s2. so I`m a beginner.
Learnt loads ( like satin black is a swine to spray ) , but the paint just doesn't seem to want to take to my oiltek cut down rear foot boards. I roughed them up a bit , etch primered them , then primered and sprayed and lacquered but the paint is coming off with the petrol a bit now.
They are steel but there's something about them the paint doesn't like ?
How much petrol are you getting on them ?

It shouldn't be coming off unless they are soaked, or have continual exposure ( like round the tank filler neck )
GBCS

Can you post some pictures ?
nellyboyo

No, I can`t post pics, I`m away at work . They are soaked in petrol spit back as it`s running a bit rich .
I`ll take them back to bare metal again and try again with 2k lacquer then I think
GBCS

How did you clean the panels before the etch primer ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information