Removal of powder coat from inside a petrol tank

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

It's a 5 year old Diablo tank that has not been treated inside. A few months back I had it externally blasted and powder coated. I have just come to fit it and realised that the cap wasn't covered when it was coated leaving chunks of powder coat inside. I have got quite a bit of it out but far from all.

Will a caustic soda solution get rid of the remaining traces or is there something else please?
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

Your powder coater will probably have a product called Atlas T on hand.

http://www.eurochem-northern.com/paints ... aters.html

It removes powder coat in minutes.

The problem you have is that any chemical that will strip powder is going to be really aggressive. Even the fumes from it could damage the powder finish on the outside of the tank.
storkfoot

Thanks. My powder coaters are 20 miles away, unfortunately. I was hoping to get this sorted quickly ( I know I am too impatient). I did see something on a Google search to indicate caustic soda would strip it. Is that wrong?

I do have experience of cleaning and sealing the internals of tanks and I know how ruthless caustic soda and hydrochloric acid are.

Thanks again :-)
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Listen to GBCS,he knows a thing or two about Powder Coating.
storkfoot

Thank you for that insight. I do appreciate that. I am just looking for other cheaper, quicker, maybe less good alternatives.
coaster

How firmly attached is the plastic coat inside the tank Paul seeing as it will be 'overspray? Just wondering if a few hand fulls of sharp gravel and some very vigorous shaking might do the trick. It is a technique used for removing rust from inside tanks. Flush out with the garden hose and allow to dry.

Caustic Soda will remove most paints but will need to be left overnight for automotive type paints but I don't know if it will have any effect on powder coat which is essentially hot melted plastic?? Cheap as chips from B&Q though so well worth a try but use in well ventilated area as the fumes are fekin toxic.

Colin
sydduckett

coaster wrote:How firmly attached is the plastic coat inside the tank Paul seeing as it will be 'overspray? Just wondering if a few hand fulls of sharp gravel and some very vigorous shaking might do the trick. It is a technique used for removing rust from inside tanks. Flush out with the garden hose and allow to dry.

Caustic Soda will remove most paints but will need to be left overnight for automotive type paints but I don't know if it will have any effect on powder coat which is essentially hot melted plastic?? Cheap as chips from B&Q though so well worth a try but use in well ventilated area as the fumes are fekin toxic.

Colin
A good idea, ideally strap it to a cement mixerand leave to turn for twenty minutes or if your brave you can wrap it in padding and put it in the tumble dryer when the wifes out.
It makesa fuc€$ racket but does the job. :D
storkfoot

There's a surprising amount in there for what is overspray. I have got quite a bit off the walls that was flaking but still quite a bit in there. I don't think caustic soda will remove powder coat although it will paint. That said, I am going to give it a go and follow that up with hydrochloric acid and phosphoric acid.

All are cheap. I'll see what it looks like after that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information