Powder as a base coat

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

The reason I was wanting to powder coat first was to give the scooter a similar base coat to the finished colour. I can't decide on the design or second colour & thought if I get it powder coated it would give me a better idea of what to do. I won't be coating the headset. This is on a Vespa. My powder coat shop know what they are doing, I use them all the time & they do work from all over Europe, they also done this scooter, which I have painted on the underside/inside in paint for added protection & coat in ACF50 every couple of months.

http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... &start=130
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

At the end of the day, we can take anecdotal advice, or we can listen to the man who knows.

If any of you are close to Hull, you can come to Kintech, and I will give you the 5 bob tour for free. You can learn about powder coating, where it's appropriate , where it isn't etc.

I would even let you watch you parts be powder coated for free if you have them suitably prepared.

The fact is, powder coating is not designed to be a substrate for wet paint - end of.

Rather than debate it on line with people on line that haven't got a clue, come and see how its really done, and learn something !
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

The fact is, powder coating is not designed to be a substrate for wet paint - end of.
So, what is it designed for?
Mark97
Main scooter: Lambretta GP200

I completey agree with the chap from Hull. Although I do like Gary's approach and he has built some cracking bikes over the last 20+ years.

My approach is slight different and goes back to my racing days when paint jobs were blagged - so you needed to get your sprayer on-side.

The spine and the actual underside of the frame - except the top of the frame loop - always painted in Satin or Matt Black. The frame loop and all the bodywork, prepped, filled if necessary and painted normally using wet-paint.

The beauty of not painting or powder-coating under the panels is that you can easily re-spray any inevitable chip damage and quickly re-fresh it at the end of the season so it looks like new.

The satin/matt black also shows up any oil-leaks or problems very obviously and if its chipped the petrol/oil mix doesnt get under the lacquer and "yellow" your nice shiny expensive paint.

Plus most sprayers hate doing the intricacies of the Lambretta frame under the panels.

Keep your Powder coating for things like forks, tanks, rear mudguards, etc, as its so much more durable and less likely to chip.... Unless your bodywork is 100% perfect or you know an old fella that can lead fill - and that's a dying art-form............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information