Powder as a base coat

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

Or to be a little more sensible:

Question , can powder coat be use as a base coat ?

Yes

Will it improve the corrosion resistance offered by the paint : No

Will it it improve the adhesion of the paint to the substrate : No

Will it bring any benefit in terms of the final finish of the parts once painted: No

Is it recommended by any major paint manufacturer as an integral part of their paint system / process: No

Do any manufacturers of the powder list paint undercoating as one of it's intended uses: No

Will it add cost to the job: Yes

Is there any tangible benefit at all to doing it: No

Do I know what I am talking about: Yes, I own one of the most high tech powder coating facilities in the UK ( as far as I know, only Bentley Motors have the same one ), and I have been painting scooters since 1987.

My company powder coats several thousand components per day, and I never put scooter parts through the plant before painting them.

Do whatever you are comfortable with, but powder coating before painting is a waste of your time and money.
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

:o thats that then.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

dave411 wrote::o thats that then.
Lol :)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

GBCS wrote:Or to be a little more sensible:

Question , can powder coat be use as a base coat ?

Yes

Will it improve the corrosion resistance offered by the paint : No

Will it it improve the adhesion of the paint to the substrate : No

Will it bring any benefit in terms of the final finish of the parts once painted: No

Is it recommended by any major paint manufacturer as an integral part of their paint system / process: No

Do any manufacturers of the powder list paint undercoating as one of it's intended uses: No

Will it add cost to the job: Yes

Is there any tangible benefit at all to doing it: No

Do I know what I am talking about: Yes, I own one of the most high tech powder coating facilities in the UK ( as far as I know, only Bentley Motors have the same one ), and I have been painting scooters since 1987.

My company powder coats several thousand components per day, and I never put scooter parts through the plant before painting them.

Do whatever you are comfortable with, but powder coating before painting is a waste of your time and money.

& im on the verge of getting my S2 frame done!!
I thinks you just may have persuaded me not too POwCoat it?
gaz_powell

my take on this is .....

I get all the hubs, rims, stand, tanks etc powder coated when I do bikes - generally in black or silver so last 2 bikes were done with black I had the frames blasted and coated in black at same time then painted the loop the bike colour so when the panels are off everything is black underneath.

I like powder coated frames personally - if I was doing a standard white I would have the frame coated in 9010 to match all the other add on bits the panel work and loop in the exact colour.

I`ll continue on that basis as it works for me.....

gaz
ArmandTanzarian

gaz_powell wrote:my take on this is .....

I get all the hubs, rims, stand, tanks etc powder coated when I do bikes - generally in black or silver so last 2 bikes were done with black I had the frames blasted and coated in black at same time then painted the loop the bike colour so when the panels are off everything is black underneath.

I like powder coated frames personally - if I was doing a standard white I would have the frame coated in 9010 to match all the other add on bits the panel work and loop in the exact colour.

I`ll continue on that basis as it works for me.....

gaz

That's how I've always done mine. Powder coat the frame, toolbox, tank, cowlings, and rims then paint the frame loop and bodywork.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

Gaz and Armand , do you spray over the powder coat and ever had any problems with adhesion , the sprayer i use flattens back the powder coat and sprays on top not sure if he uses any kind of chemical or primer to help with keying ive never asked him but ive never had any problems in the past 6 plus years been doing this.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I've recently had a frame powder coated and it's a fantastic finish. It gets where paint doesn't always get. Obviously that's down to the skill of the painter, but as to adding cost I don't get that. It cost me a little over £100, and all I'm going to do is have the loop painted. How is that more expensive than getting a frame blasted, primed and sprayed?
gaz_powell

Never had any problems with adhesion. And like said I like the way it covers
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

The reason I was wanting to powder coat first was to give the scooter a similar base coat to the finished colour. I can't decide on the design or second colour & thought if I get it powder coated it would give me a better idea of what to do. I won't be coating the headset. This is on a Vespa. My powder coat shop know what they are doing, I use them all the time & they do work from all over Europe, they also done this scooter, which I have painted on the underside/inside in paint for added protection & coat in ACF50 every couple of months.

http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... &start=130
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information