Powder coating over chemical metal

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
mawso

If some parts had some small areas filled with either JB weld or Devcon will they be ok to powder coat? What temperatures do the ovens go up to for powder coating? Thanks.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

don't know if it's suitable but the ovens go to 180 (some may go to 200).

There are some powder coats that require a lower temp' but again not too sure what temp' or who sells them

The filler (JB Weld etc) has to be metal based for the powder coat to stick. The process creates static electricity which causes the powder to jump to the charged metal. If the filler is not metal based the powder won't work.
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

It won't give you a result you are happy with !

Curing is between 180 C and 210 C for between 15 and 22 minutes depending on the powder spec.

There are fillers designed specifically for use under powder coat, but none of them are great.
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

And he knows what he is talking about :D
mawso

Ok cheers lads, I apologise for the delay in replying I don't get on here that much. To give a bit more info, the plan was to spot fill some gouged/scraped alloy parts then get them powdered. I've had some alloy parts welded in the past and powder coated and some areas came back like they had woodworm...is that what happens to these fillers/chem metals too?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information