Satin black paint job

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
kevspeed

Hi all,having been inspired by a few of the scooters shown on this site over the years im looking to get a satin black paint job done on my series 1.
At the moment its been done with rattle cans 'a la 1980's',but shows up any greasy mark when touched!!
So,my idea is to re-do it all again,then get it laquered with (if there is such stuff) a 'satin finish clear coat'.
Will this work?,will this stop the greasy marks appearing? :?:
Muttley McLadd

Wouldn't blackboard paint have the same effect (no greasy marks), without sacrificing dignity?
CakeAndArseParty
carlos fandango

Black board paint is matt :)

Yes you can get satin clear coat .
I used black base with a satin clear coat on mine , one thing I hadnt considered though was with a gloss clear coat , any blemishes can be cut back and polished out .....cant do that with satin ...or matt for that matter , as any polishing will give you a gloss finish :( .
Grease and oil will also give it a shiney appearance , but easy to wash off .
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
stonerosesmod
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150S

Been thinking of this too as I'm giving my matt black px cutdown a revamp soon.Was going all satin black but now considering clear lacquer over the top.Either satin or gloss black I can't decide!
Richjak

My cutdown is matt black - I have done it three times now. For the best result I used black gloss and then used a matt clear coat over the top of it
BOTAK ITU INDAH.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

the only trouble with gloss black is prepping your panels as it shows any defects or scratches satin looks nice like the sip tubeless
Richjak

garry inglis wrote:the only trouble with gloss black is prepping your panels as it shows any defects or scratches satin looks nice like the sip tubeless
Very true but also remember the final matt finish is very forgiving - my advice would be to use a high build primer filler, that will get rid of a lot of the smaller stuff and the rest will be lost once the clear coat goes on. But remember also 90% of a decent paint job is in the preparation work before hand - good luck.
BOTAK ITU INDAH.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information