lifespan of powder coat?

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

I had a series 3 restored 10 years ago by a very well know restorer.( This isn't a criticism of him or his work).
Due to various life issues the scooter has been stored in my mates dry but cold garage for 4 years.
I have recently been able to move it to where I live.
Pissed off is an understatement and as debating my next move.
Where the 2pack paint has been applied all is good.
The powder coat is another issue. The loop, tank,forks and wheel rims are all bleeding out rust. Spots of it on all the powder coated items.
I have a series 2 eibar. I was either gonna restore or sell. If I restore no way would I use powder coat . etch primer for me all the way.
How does rust penetrate powder coat?
Den 08
Main scooter: lambretta Gp 225

A mate of mine is into Kawasaki's ,Grown up up bikes as he puts it, Bless him, anyway we we're discussing this same
issue not so long ago and he said there had been a few reports in the grown up :roll: world of motorcycles mainly a few
kawi frames that had been powder coated and after a few years started to brake up where the powder coat had cracked
and being grown up bikes only came to play occasionally and the moister had just Eaton away under the powder coat.
Tbh I never saw it for myself but it does make you think. Sorry for the long response but you get my drift.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

The powder coat is like a plastic film that coats the metal but doesn't seem to key to it in the same way as primer, and the main criticism of it is that rust can eat away at the metal underneath. I've seen it happen. Some people swear by it. But I'm not convinced. I think it's horrible stuff.
wrecklessrobbie

Yeah I not happy with it now.
Keep looking at my scooter and am not in love with it at the moment.
It has really got me down. I am unsure what's happening under the coating. Was thinking of either cleaning then waxing or Totally stripping and rebuild.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

You'll have to have it off. There's no way of knowing otherwise.
PeteB
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2 Li 150

Doom Patrol wrote:The powder coat is like a plastic film that coats the metal but doesn't seem to key to it in the same way as primer, and the main criticism of it is that rust can eat away at the metal underneath. I've seen it happen. Some people swear by it. But I'm not convinced. I think it's horrible stuff.
My experience too. I've got items coated by Aerocoat many years ago that are as good as when done because the film is undamaged. Other bits, both ali and steel, have had "worm tracks" appear all over from damage from scratches or damage from nuts, etc. I still have stuff coated, but understand it does have a limited life.
wrecklessrobbie

I was gonna start my s2. But now I will gut the s3 me thinks. Think a lot of stainless may be bought.
Bifter
Main scooter: vespa p210

I used to mess about in land rovers and since then i have never had anything powdercoated after seeing the stuff just lift off in sheets after getting a bit of moisture behind it and you cant even blend it in so it all needs to come off and be redone .2K for me all the way at least it does stick to the metal and stay there (as long as its been prepped properly first ).
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Thanks for this post as I didn't know of such issues with powder coating a frame. I'll avoid in future. However, be careful with stainless steel "everything" as this can cause it's own issues.
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Good surface prep is the key for both paint and powder. If your 40 year old 'bretta or kwakasaki frame isn't suitably pre-treated then it is going to go pear shaped no matter what you put on it.
www.powdercoating.org

SF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information