Custom Painting S2 Fibreglass Panels...

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
Rob Brown
Main scooter: Lambretta DL125

I've got some very special painted fibreglass panels with high-line cracks that I'd like to try to repair (without repainting). Has anybody had any luck repairing such cracks?

Thanks for the help
coaster

Have you got any photos of the damage? I doubt though that ant repair will be possible without causing more damage. The correct way to deal with cracks is the add a layer or 2 of matting to the rear of the panel and then to grind away the damaged gel coat and grp layer for an inch or so either side of the crack and then lay a layer of fiber glass tissue cut to match the ground out area. a skim of filler is then applied and the repair sanded flat.

That method will garuntee that the cracks don't reappear later.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

The fibreglass panels do look good. But metal is so much easier.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Doom Patrol wrote:The fibreglass panels do look good. But metal is so much easier.
Easier to what Neville Rust?
Did you have to do that?
Rob Brown

Here are the hair-line cracks I'd like to improve. Repainting is not an option, so if I can't do anything about the cracks I'll live with them; I'd appreciate anybody's thoughts:

ImageIMG_1427 by Robin Brown, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1428 by Robin Brown, on Flickr
matthew

Are they Jem's old race bike panels? Personally I'd clean them up and clear coat them and accept that they've got some history.
Rob Brown

Yes they are (well spotted!). I'm with you 100% I like them showing their history, and will leave the cracks unless there is a good way to stabilise them.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

You can probably make those cracks a lot less visible by cleaning the panels with oxalic acid, then possibly a clear lacquer.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

DigDug wrote:
Doom Patrol wrote:The fibreglass panels do look good. But metal is so much easier.
Easier to what Neville Rust?
Well, there is that. Swings and roundabouts I suppose. But generally speaking a metal panel shouldn't craze like that.
coaster

Looking at the cracking I would hazard a guess that the dam ;) age has possibly been caused by banging on the panel to get it to 'snug' home. It's in a similar position the where I thump my steel panels. The damage to the main part of the panel is down it flexing due to there not being enough laminations. Ideally you need to reinforce the rear of the panel but I can see that might make the panel difficult to fit but definitely worth looking into even if its just a layer or 2 of tissue near the lip rather than mat.

2k lacquer is quite flexible so as has been said already, a couple of good coats should seal the damage. Good luck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information