Metalflake

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
woody

I,m looking at putting some flake on a lammy frame 70,s stylee ( nice an thick ) i,ve bought the flake but how to i put it on ? some people say in lacquer some say in a binder , whats right ? an whats the best way to get a nice smooth finish ? cheerrs chaps
Wayne Miller
Main scooter: Vespa 50 Special (Rotax Proto)

woody wrote:I,m looking at putting some flake on a lammy frame 70,s stylee ( nice an thick ) i,ve bought the flake but how to i put it on ? some people say in lacquer some say in a binder , whats right ? an whats the best way to get a nice smooth finish ? cheerrs chaps
Im an amateur and have only used it twice but . . . . . .

Apply base coat,
mix flakes into clear coat and apply,
apply more clear coat minus flakes

To get a smooth finish flat it down after every coat
When I tried out metal flake I didnt flat after the flake was applied, I added another coat of clear coat as I didnt want to fook up the flake. (Just my opinion)
Stay tuned..............
sean brady scooters
Dealer

the way i do it is to apply the colour base ,and when dry (usually next day to be sure) mix your flakes with 2k laquer and apply in coats every 20 mins or so depending on temp until you achieve your desired coverage .
then just carry on but with just clear laquer for another 5 coats (again at 20 min intervals between coats)at least to ensure that the laquer burys the flakes ...then leave for a day or two to fully cure/harden..
then sand /flat off with 400/500 sand paper.
then apply another 3 coats at least of clear laquer.and again leave to dry for a couple of days
then flat off with 1500 wet and dry ,followed by 2000 wet and dry ...then buff/machine polish .
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
stuckintheeighties
Main scooter: SX200

Mine was done professionally by Dave Dickinson. He uses 16 coats of laquer.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

If you were to throw Candy into the mix at what point would you add that? In with the flake or on top of the flake?
gavi4t
Main scooter: lambretta gp450

if your letting the base dry for overnight I reckon that's too long and your flake/laquer mix wont adhere to it cos its too dry ,,as long as its dry enough to tak off thatll do and will give you a better key for your laquer to stick to ,when your putting kandy on it needs to be done after your flake is covered out with laquer and is totally flatted wither 800 or 1200 ,put on your kandy and then follow with lots of clear ....
sean brady scooters
Dealer

there are two ways to achieve say a RED (or any colour) flake job ...
first way it so use a red basecoat and apply red flakes (in laquer ) over the base colour ,same with say green /blue etc etc ..although base colours and flake colours can be altered/mismatched to suit final result ...for eg ,blue flakes over a green base colour gives a different result rather than blue flakes over a blue base .
the other way to achieve it is just to paint every thing in silver or gold basecoat and then with silver or gold flakes ...and then to use a candy colour over it .
sean brady scooters
Dealer

most painters now use the second method (candy colour over silver base) as it saves having to buy in and stock coloured flake
ts200

the other option is to use a "flakebuster" type gun
you basically spray your basecoat
and when its dried you spray with a clear
and whilst the clear its still wet you use the dry gun at a low pressure to spray the flake on,
the good thing is you can reuse the flake that doesn't stick to the clear
also it lays the flake flatter so doesn't need as much clearing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/metal-flake-d ... 58a73ee469

here's a bash hat we done with a flakebuster
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =720%2C960
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

The method that works for me is:
Prep & Prime.
Apply base colour ( most systems need to be recoated fairly quickly to ensure adhesion )
Mix your flake into House of Kolor SG150 flake carrier, it's the business. It goes on like base coat, flashes really quickly, and lets the flake sit nice and flat. Importantly it is designed to be applied in multiple coats ( even House of Kolor inter coat SG100 has restrictions ).
Tack off, and then apply 3 - 4 coats of 2K clear. Use a good quality high solids clear, and you won't need the 10 - 12 coats that we were applying in the 80's. Allow to dry, and flat off with P800.
Then add candy to SG100, and apply until you get the colour you want.
The biggest advantage of candy over silver flake is that when flatting back the flake, if you rub through to coloured flake it will show silver "tips", and the job is knackered.
With candy over silver it won't show, and doesn't matter.
If it's the first time you have tried it, I recommend you download all the tech sheets from House of Kolor and have a good read.
Good Luck :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information