Firstime/rebuild/first time sprayer

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
tobytyke
Main scooter: li 125/mb 225 stage four/

nearly got all the stuff together,i need...this is the first time ive had the scooter to bits(looks a bit scary),but the more i look the more i understand,im a hands on type a guy,so ive bought a decent compressor and guns...decided on the paint..SO..im going to post as i go along and probably ask some amusing questions as i go along...please bare we me..while i learn as i progress...today..im going to fire the compressor up and get a feel for the gun..

Ps the man in the pic is not me...a got the mates round..to strip the paint,,cost me a few tins..but we had a laugh on the way..all panels etc are like this now.
DRC86
Main scooter: Cutdown gp.

Your mates can come and work for me for beer if they like!! :lol:
tobytyke

DRC86 wrote:Your mates can come and work for me for beer if they like!! :lol:
Itd be cheaper to have it proffesionally done pal...

1st daft question...on mixing the2k primer...4.1.1...would it be ok to transfer the paint thats left to a air tight pot,to save for another job..or will it just go off..
WINTERMODEL150
Main scooter: lambretta ld auto

tobytyke wrote:
DRC86 wrote:Your mates can come and work for me for beer if they like!! :lol:
Itd be cheaper to have it proffesionally done pal...

1st daft question...on mixing the2k primer...4.1.1...would it be ok to transfer the paint thats left to a air tight pot,to save for another job..or will it just go off..
Don't forget to use etch primer first on all bare metal parts and once primer has been mixed with hardener it will go off quickly.

Dean
tobytyke

Hi Dean...i spoke to the bloke in the shop..i told him i wanted a 2k primer for bare metal...he gave me

1.79kg kapci 2-k filler
0.25 2k filler hardener
0.25 2k thinners

mixed ..4-1-1...

so do i need another product before this goes onto the bare metal.ive cleaned and degreased the panels and used a tack cloth to clean em down..cheers bud.
WINTERMODEL150

tobytyke wrote:Hi Dean...i spoke to the bloke in the shop..i told him i wanted a 2k primer for bare metal...he gave me

1.79kg kapci 2-k filler
0.25 2k filler hardener
0.25 2k thinners

mixed ..4-1-1...

so do i need another product before this goes onto the bare metal.ive cleaned and degreased the panels and used a tack cloth to clean em down..cheers bud.
Hi,yes you need to get some etch primer ,they may sell it in an aerosol can but only apply in thin light coats ,you don't need to apply etch over body filler just on the bare metal .

Dean
tobytyke

Cheers..thats saved the day,before i even started... :wtf:
tobytyke

3 coats of etch primer,sprayed at half hour intervals and a feel for the gun...looks a very nice even finish...question....do i flatt back now,b4 i spray the 2k primer...thanks.

WINTERMODEL150

tobytyke wrote:3 coats of etch primer,sprayed at half hour intervals and a feel for the gun...looks a very nice even finish...question....do i flatt back now,b4 i spray the 2k primer...thanks.

Hi,normally you would put the etch on first then as soon as it dry go straight on with high build primer all in the space of around 10 minutes,if you flat this off now you will go through to bare metal and then it will need re etching again,just put some high build on sooner rather than later,hope this helps :D

Dean
tobytyke

Will do Dean...but the temps have really dropped round here -9 today...so its too cold for spraying anything..im really limited for space thats warm enough to spray..cheers for the advice.. :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information