Air Fuel Gauge Recommendations

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Agent Buchwald

[https://www.demon-tweeks.com/aem-electr ... lsrc=aw.ds][/url]

I'm too old for roadside jetting guesswork so am going to buy an AFR gauge, anyone have any advice or recommendations above and beyond the one listed above? Cheers.
Stampede
Main scooter: SX200

I use the MTX from Innovate since some years, working fine:

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/pro ... l_plus.php
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Out of interest.........if you set up the carb' stationary will it be affected when it's moving ? By this i mean when your travelling along at say 60mph with side panels on will the air intake be the same as when stationary ?.....pretty much same as a dyno' i suppose ?
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

Agent Buchwald, The AEM afr gauge is very accurate, but is not terribly robust. I'd add that the Bosch sensors clog up with the two stroke oil on a fairly regular basis and start to give you false readings, and need replacing on a regular basis. Also you'll need a fairly consistent 5-10 Amp DC supply.
Once you've set up the carb, you are probably better removing it from the scoot. With welding the sensor boss on, and the cost of the set-up/ battery I'd suggest an hour on you local dyno for less than a third of the cost (JB Tuning?) And jetting generally won't change unless you change something.
Mick, although on a dyno the scooter is stationary, it is under load rather than just free revving in neutral. Dyno/ carb set-up should be done with panels on if using an open carb, as panel obstruction will alter airflow ergo jetting. Also, carburation/ jetting should also be checked in the over-rev range as leaning off can regularly be observed, (That rev range BEYOND peak HP [eek]) and personally I'd prefer the scooter "stationary" whilst doing that.
The AFR from Innovate 'looks' a bit more robust than the AEM but no experience of it, and same applies re power and sensors.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information