New problem with carb

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Andy56
Main scooter: Lambretta Bitsa 175

Hi everyone, hope someone can point me in the right direction.

175cc engine completely rebuilt, GP crank, 12v electronic etc. Old SH1/20 carb fitted.

It ran fine until one day as I was approaching some traffic lights it died on me. I couldn't get it to start for the life of me, so pushed it into a car park. Then I noticed that fuel was pi**ing out of the carb. Took the carb off, checked jets (all ok), float was lifting ok and no holes in it. I wouldn't mind but I'd only done just short of 30 miles on the rebuilt engine!

So, anyone have any ideas please? I'm tempted to scrap the old carb and buy a new one - Scootopia or Jetex?

Thanks in advance guys - Andy
essexgp
Main scooter: Indian Gp200 Indian Gp Cutdown

Needle valve sticking or worn!
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

check that the float is not binding and is free to move on the pivot pin .
Hold the carb up vertically with the fuel bowl off and blow into the fuel entry pipe whilst lifting and lowering the float.
Probably a bit of debris blocking the float needle valve seating properly

Also probably worth checking that the choke valve is fully seated and the choke cable is not under strain , caught up or bent sharply increasing the fuel delivery
johnny650

hey Andy did you fix the problem ? would be nice to give folk a bit of feedback and thanks for responding to your issue
johnny650

oops ........I need to get my eyesight checked thats the second time I have responded to a dead thread lol
Andy56
Main scooter: Lambretta Bitsa 175

johnny650 - fitted refurb kit and checked everything but after that the choke plunger wouldn't work, bought new cable, lever etc. and it still wouldn't work so I've given it up as a bad job. Just pissed me off. Carb is still in garage and scooter is outside. Sorry about the thanks but after all that I just lost interest. So, thanks for replies guys. Sorry about delay. Maybe I'll have another look at it some time...…..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information