Battery Just for Horn ?

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

My S2 was picked up in the MOT for the lights being arsed when the horn is pressed as is normal on 12v AC lambrettas. ( even with an LED rear unit ) .
I don`t want to go the full DC option as I don`t need it .
I've got a spare regulator that gives a battery output so if i get a smaller rechargeable battery and run 1 single wire from that to a DC horn and then leave the existing earth return up through the switch .That`ll work won`t it ?.
the horns I've seen are 3A.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Can't you just fit a lower wattage headlight bulb, i.e. 25/25, rather than 35/35... if that's what you have fitted? The LED rear was a good shout but anything you can do to free up more wattage reserve in the system would help, even the horn.

Adam
coaster

Short answer is yes it probably will work but I think Adam has the right of it. Have you got an uprated halogen headlamp bulb in there? 35/35 watt halogens are common but 55/60 watt halogens are also available, either way it will look as if the headlamp has gone out when you hit the brake pedal. This is one of the reasons that made me go the full DC route in the first place. However, you could just put a 25/25 lamp in for the test and put the halogen back in afterwards.
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

Mine failed on horn at Palmers Hemel Hempstead (dick could have given me an advisory) so i put a battery horn on and it passed, once he had given me the ticket i told him i was taking the horn off,do you really need a horn if you can't hear a Lambretta coming there's not much hope they will hear a horn.
coaster

dennis wrote:.............if you can't hear a Lambretta coming there's not much hope they will hear a horn.
That is so true, PMSL :lol: :lol:
lambro

Horn must be 'loud enough for another road user to hear'.
Also it is a fail if the light dim/cut when horn is pressed.
But, any tester who knows his scooters would 'allow' for this (technically bending the rules.)

If you can live this is most of us do, just put a bulb horn on once a year for the MOT, they are allowed pre-1973 and that will sort things easily.

Shaun.
Yanker

lambro wrote: If you can live this is most of us do, just put a bulb horn on once a year for the MOT, they are allowed pre-1973 and that will sort things easily.

Shaun.
Nope: Must have a 'continuous' tone on the horn (flippin eck even Victor Meldrew knows that!) for the MOT (when was the last time you rode Lambro'[?)

The real answer in this situation is to turn up the tick over on the scooter to +/- 2000 rpm (or whenever the 'dimming' stops) and present it for MOT Tada!

Cheers
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

My take on it is that I don't trust any other road user; they are all potential collisions especially cars pulling out of side junctions.
I have a battery that is trickle charged and I run a compressor and gas horns that are mounted beneath the legshields, operated by the original horn switch. My brake light is also wired from the battery and operates from both front and rear brakes.
I "blast" every vehicle nudging out from a parking bay or side road.
That's why I'm known as "Toot Toot" in my part of the world.
So for me it's not the MOT; it's my personal safety.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

Yeah, the bike is loud enough and it passed the MOT as he does loads of scooters ....but don`t bring it back doing the same next year he said that`s all.
I`ve got a 35w halogen in there and was going to try one of those eBay LED ones just for the hell of it . ( 5w )
I don`t know its really going to be bright enough in practice .
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Where did you take it for MOT.Mine needs doing soon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information