Clutch Spring measurement.

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Looking in my garage I have dozen sets of clutch springs, for the life of me I can't remember which came off which engine ?

Is there a way of checking which are strong springs and which are weaker.........other than guessing by pinching them between thumb and finger !!

The height of the spring can be easily measured but does a taller spring make a stronger spring ? (not necessarily so i'd have thought).

Basically any tips for sorting them out.

ta
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I'd have thought wire diameter might make a stronger spring
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
onthelam
Main scooter: not yet

Stick something heavy on them and then measure! Sadly my wife is getting close to qualifying.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

onthelam wrote:Stick something heavy on them and then measure! Sadly my wife is getting close to qualifying.
I take it she doesn't frequent this forum :lol:
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Measure the free length

Tie some string to a largeish nut m10 or bigger

Thread the string through the spring and tie other end to a known weight. I'd start with 1kg for easy maths.

Suspend the whole set up from a fixed point like a vice so that the weight pulls the nut down and compresses the spring

Measure the compressed length.

Spring constant is 9.81 x mass of whatever you used divided by the difference between the free and compressed length of the spring.

By the way in my world 9.81=10 as it only introduces an error of about 2%.

Molto facile.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Sorry, i also forgot to say that length, wire diameter number of coils tell you almost nothing as material is unknown and can vary enormously.

So squeezing between finger and thumb is actually a better test.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Hmmm clever stuff. It would be nice if the spring manufacturers told you what spring strength was. it's pi**ing down outside so I might measure me springs :?

Thinking on. Do you know what result I should expect for "strong" springs and what would be the lowest expected reading for "normal" springs.

Are you a spring expert and is your real name Zebadee :shock:

Ta, good info'
shocky

Almost every set ive compressed fully has failed to return to it pre compressed lengh some by not alot others by 2 mm I dont see it as a problem as long as there all the same lengh
harry barlow of pro porting has a spring guage to measere poundage rates
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Wasnt there a thread a while back with MB/Readspeed ones?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information