Key issue

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

This is probably going to sound like a very stupid question but you only know what you know.
I have recently bought a 1962 series 3. It has a 12V upgrade. I am interested to know about the key. I have never had a Lambretta before but have had dozens of "modern" bikes from sports to tourers. I put the key into the barrel below the headstock (left hand side), turn anticlockwise, and kick start. No problem. I can also use the same key to apply the steering lock by turning the barrel clockwise.
All good up to this point. However, I had started the scooter the other day and whilst giving it a rub over with a cloth I pulled the key out. I was amazed that it would come out quite so easy but even more surprised that the scooter kept running. How does this system work. Just for info it has a cut off switch below the speedo to kill the engine.

Like I said probably sounds a bit stupid to the more experienced Lammy rider but I can't find any info on the net specific to this.

Cheers for any help.
belly
Main scooter: series 2 Li with TS1

Think you'll find that key only operates the steering lock, no ignition key fitted. To be sure just try starting it without using key ;)
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

I had a Casa switch were the steering lock key would go in and work the ignition switch but would fall out in the run position. I figure the key were near enough to fit but loose enough to drop out.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Not standard but fitted later. Fully anti- clockwise is OFF. 1 click clockwise ON; another click is ON + "sidelight"; and another click is ON + headlights.....normally !
On worn locks the key can come out without affecting the engine or lighting.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

It sounds like you are mistaking the steering lock for an ignition switch,if your scooter is fitted with a kill switch button it wont have a key operated ignition switch.
Blenks

So if I am not mistaken, if what you are saying is correct (just a steering lock) that would mean that it will kick start without a key??????? Surely this would mean anybody could ride away with my newly acquired Lammy free and gratis. Now I know technology has moved in in the past 50+ years but come on????? Is the only security then the steering lock and no ignition key. :shock:
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

join the wonderful world of Lambretta!!

TBH the more upmarket models did have steering locks AND ignition keys which were a waste of time. Suggest you invest in a very strong "Oxford" type chain and lock and lock it to a lamp post whenever you leave it- otherwise they will simply lift the bike into a transit and off they go.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Daggs

Blenks wrote:So if I am not mistaken, if what you are saying is correct (just a steering lock) that would mean that it will kick start without a key??????? Surely this would mean anybody could ride away with my newly acquired Lammy free and gratis. Now I know technology has moved in in the past 50+ years but come on????? Is the only security then the steering lock and no ignition key. :shock:
Yup ! ............ :)
Blenks

WOW!!!! frightening really. Still it is what it is. Thanks for all the responses and for not taking the P. If it was not chained to something solid as Chris says they would not have to lift it into a van they could just kick the bars to snap the steering lock (which I guess is like most bikes and made of cheese) and ride it away. They wouldn't even have to use there own petrol :!:
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

you don't need to kick the bars to snap the steering lock, a reasonably determined toddler could probably do it in 2 mins...
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information