Flywheel thread

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Blackhawk
Main scooter: T5 Classic

I'm currently restoring a Moto Vespa 150s and the flywheel thread is stripped so a puller won't get it off. Two things: How can I get the flywheel off and can the thread be repaired or re tapped to the size of a PX flywheel puller. I thing the thread is 22mm and a PX puller is 26mm.

cheers
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

I find hard to believe the thread on the flywheel has stripped. You can buy a flywheel puller for all vespa flywheels, try beedspeed and allstyles. I know I have two flywheel pullers, will check the size. You could use one of those claw pullers, the have three legs and a central threaded bolt (forget the name)
As for replacing the boss, will a PX one fit the crank, I would get it repaired.
Blackhawk
Main scooter: T5 Classic

The puller is from beedspeed I'm taking the engine over to buzz solo motor tomorrow worst case is a new flywheel for 50 quid hopefully sorted with the correct puller. Mate reckons a pk my fit over the crank so that's option 2.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

GLscoot wrote:I find hard to believe the thread on the flywheel has stripped. You can buy a flywheel puller for all vespa flywheels, try beedspeed and allstyles. I know I have two flywheel pullers, will check the size. You could use one of those claw pullers, the have three legs and a central threaded bolt (forget the name)
As for replacing the boss, will a PX one fit the crank, I would get it repaired.
in general i'd avoid 3 legged pullers, they often cause damage where the legs 'grip' whatever it is you're pulling off ( :shock: ), especially if it's soft stuff like aluminium.

however, if you have no choice, then I guess you have no choice, but i'd explore other avenues first.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information