Troublesome Mag side bearing

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Guys,

Been trying to fit a new mag bearing within the mag flange !!!..........heated the flange up with gas blow lamp till spit boiled on it and beyond (as books recommend), bearing was in freezer since Sunday ...but when I knocked it in, was as tight as anything and could not even get the bearing to go into the mag flange greater than half the thickness of the bearing. I used an old engine mount as a drift but the bearing disintegrated under 'blows' and fell apart. Any ideas on getting it in with ease and is their a special 'puller' tool that would make life easier ?

Secondly, it was a FAG bearing with a plastic inner cage, is this correct ? I would much prefer the metal cage ?

Thanks in anticipation.
kevspeed

Plastic inner cage denotes a 'High load bearing',basically a better option!,the plastic cage allows more rollers in the bearing race than the metal ones!
Unusual that a quality bearing such as FAG is giving problems,as long as its going in 'square',it should be fine!
Definitely a NU205 for LI/SX,or NU2205 for GP ?
Read the numbers on the bearing,not the box they came in!,Not being funny,but ive had the wrong bearing in the correct box supplied in the past!!
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

i always use fine wet and dry and clean the inner surface were the bearing goes in / sits as you can get lumps and scratches when removing the old bearing . ive never put the bearing in the fridge/freezer just a smear of grease around the bearing outer and it should just drop in if the flange is hot enough , if it dosnt drop in dont try and force it , remove bearing and apply more heat. more than likely its cooled down to much when you put the oil seal in.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Sorry to hear your problems. In the past, I've used a blow lamp, but with limited success. In the end I bought a single electric hob, such as the one on the link at £12.50. Obviously not used all that often, but I would class this as a great tool. In addition, it serves as a cooking stove if you are ever kicked out of the house. In that respect, I have a stash of bake beans with sausages stored in the garage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/32130053 ... 108&ff19=0
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Good idea Paul,the beans and sausage that is.
Strummer10

thanks for the responses....stove and beans lol !! The mag flange is off a TV2 engine, but I'm presuming the GP type bearing I am trying to put into the TV2 mag flange would fit, I can't recall the bearings being different, but the one that came out was the LI/SX narrower type. Maybe I need to clean the internals and heat more and grease the bearing edges. I must confess it was a bit off skew when it started going in so they didn't help.
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

There's a video on youtube showing how to get bearings out and how he keeps it hot while he's doing it, might help on installing.
Strummer10

thanks Dennis, i'll take a look
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Strummer10 wrote: is their a special 'puller' tool that would make life easier ?
Yes, this .... http://www.lambrettaspares.com/spares/b ... m0043.html
Strummer10

Cheers........does this do mag side then ? I do have something similar but the smallest circular washer doesn't fit the mag side , maybe this one will..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information