12V DC CONVERSION VARITRONIC-HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
joespeed

wack 63 wrote:If you look here http://www.uk-motoplat.com/gallery.html at the Beta 3 stator this is basically what the varitronic uses.I spoke to the chap regarding rewiring the stator for more power but he said that it is not just a case of doing this as the magnets have an influence as well plus it was about £130 :shock: I think the CDI controls the retard as there are no electronics built into the stator .As for an earth for the lighting coils I will have to look at the spare stator I have to see if it could be converted for full DC.

hi wack,
did you get any further with this dc conversion or whether it is possible or not?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Oops,forgot to look but I can tell you that all the wiring is encased in a resin where it joins the coils because I removed it to get a continuity reading . I'll have a look tomorrow but don't recall an earth to the backplate.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

The lighting coils are earthed one end to the stator then the first coil is wound in series to the other 2 and terminating at the yellow / white wire(main lighting).The last coil is double wound with the regulator DC feed which is the red/white wire if that makes sense. Image
joespeed

wack 63 wrote:The lighting coils are earthed one end to the stator then the first coil is wound in series to the other 2 and terminating at the yellow / white wire(main lighting).The last coil is double wound with the regulator DC feed which is the red/white wire if that makes sense. Image

so can it be converted to full dc power and a battery?
soulsurfer

Last edited by soulsurfer on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
martinr

call me daft but wouldnt it be easier to put a battery on and run everything from that. and charge the battery from the varitronic simples :)
soulsurfer

martinr wrote:call me daft but wouldnt it be easier to put a battery on and run everything from that. and charge the battery from the varitronic simples :)
It only has trickle charge DC, so running everything, the battery would soon discharge.
martinr

i run a speedo a taco a volt meter a sevo choke a rear light and brake light 4 indicators an alarm and a programable logic controller all with a 3.4ah battery and its fine batt is allways charged. its only the headlight i run on ac
soulsurfer

martinr wrote:i run a speedo a taco a volt meter a sevo choke a rear light and brake light 4 indicators an alarm and a programable logic controller all with a 3.4ah battery and its fine batt is allways charged. its only the headlight i run on ac
Hi Martin, By diverting current away from the AC circuit, does that give a brighter headlamp?
martinr

hi mike yes my headlight is pretty good . i got a complete new gp headlight unit with rim from sip which helped and the shocking thing about it was it FITTED :shock: :D :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information