12V DC CONVERSION VARITRONIC-HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

ScooterLoopyJohn wrote:I think you would need to see the internal wiring diagram inside the 4 pin regulator to see how or if this is pos.
But surely it's nothing to do with the regulator if you use the wassel regulator / rectifier?

Not saying you're wrong John, I have bugger all idea about the internal workings of regulators etc.
Donnie.
coaster

ScooterLoopyJohn wrote:I think you would need to see the internal wiring diagram inside the 4 pin regulator to see how or if this is pos.
And the stator too bu it LOOKS like outputs 3 and 4 are the AC feed and providing neither end is earthed at the stator then connecting hem to one side of a Wassel type regulator/rectifier SHOULD work. The Varitronic regulator would then be redundant. It would be good to get a grown up's view on this though, J1MS and firekpd, where are you when you're needed ;)
Donnie

So, it would be worth checking the back of the stator to have a look and see where the wires and earth are?

I'm happy to do this if we can get some more knowledgeable folk to join in to minimise the risk of f@@king my stator up.
Donnie.
coaster

Donnie wrote:So, it would be worth checking the back of the stator to have a look and see where the wires and earth are?

I'm happy to do this if we can get some more knowledgeable folk to join in to minimise the risk of f@@king my stator up.
Some close up photos would be a good start also, if the scoot is running at the moment, try disconnecting the plug coupler and taking some voltage readings on the outputs 3 and 4 (yellow/white and white/red), hopefully it will be around 20 - 30 volts AC when you rev the engine, also check both those wires and earth.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

DigDug wrote:
Muppet wrote:educate me :?

DigDug wrote:
What's to convert it comes out of the box with a DC output?
You probably need someone who knows what they are talking about.... :idea:
do you assume that I dont; just maybe i do but a dont tell, ;)

muppet,
C’est la vie
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Muppet wrote:educate me :?

What's to convert it comes out of the box with a DC output?

You probably need someone who knows what they are talking about.... :idea:
do you assume that I dont; just maybe i do but a dont tell, ;)

muppet,
Not at all - Just highlighting that I assumed that pin 4 of the Vatritronic regulator, marked battery, was a DC feed. 8-)
Did you have to do that?
RICSPEED

how or what controls the advance and retard on these stators? .. i guessing that its what stops you converting .. ie ..if you make dc ..you would loose the variotroinc system ..hence pointless to convert
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
coaster

RICSPEED wrote:how or what controls the advance and retard on these stators? .. i guessing that its what stops you converting .. ie ..if you make dc ..you would loose the variotroinc system ..hence pointless to convert
I don't think so, the conversion would only be on the lighting coil, not the ignition coil which would remain DC just as with the normal electronic DC conversions. I have never seen a Vaitronic up close but from the diagram already posted, it looks as though the advance/retard is done within the stator (I could be wrong though).
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

If you look here http://www.uk-motoplat.com/gallery.html at the Beta 3 stator this is basically what the varitronic uses.I spoke to the chap regarding rewiring the stator for more power but he said that it is not just a case of doing this as the magnets have an influence as well plus it was about £130 :shock: I think the CDI controls the retard as there are no electronics built into the stator .As for an earth for the lighting coils I will have to look at the spare stator I have to see if it could be converted for full DC.
Donnie

Aye, I suspect the cdi is the controlling factor of the advance and retard, but if it's possible to get the lights to go dc and you can suss it out at all wack, that would be great.
Donnie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information