12V DC CONVERSION VARITRONIC-HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

That got some attention I hope :bigsm:

Now, I've asked about how to do this or even if it's possible in various places and no one ever actually seems to answer it properly, it's usually, yes it can be done (but then no one says how) or it gets ignored completely. :? :?

So, is there anyone out there that has actually done this conversion on a varitronic set up or not? :(

IE full DC conversion so you'd be running all lights off DC?
Donnie.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Donnie wrote:That got some attention I hope :bigsm:

Now, I've asked about how to do this or even if it's possible in various places and no one ever actually seems to answer it properly, it's usually, yes it can be done (but then no one says how) or it gets ignored completely. :? :?

So, is there anyone out there that has actually done this conversion on a varitronic set up or not? :(

IE full DC conversion so you'd be running all lights off DC?
What's to convert it comes out of the box with a DC output?
Did you have to do that?
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

educate me :?

DigDug wrote:
Last edited by Muppet on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C’est la vie
Donnie

Same here because I've had people say this before but not be able to verify it.

I can only think people are confusing the fact that it comes with a 4 pin regulator and are referring to the 4th terminal which does indeed have dc output.

HOWEVER this is only a trickle charge for charging a battery, this is not a proper DC output as per the conversions that can be done to the indian stators which is what I want for the varitronic.
Donnie.
rosscla

It's not just the stator conversion that makes it DC, all this does is isolate the lighting coils from earth. The output from the stator is still AC but instead of sending one end to earth you connect both wires to a single phase RECTIFIER this reverses polarity of the negative half of the AC pulse so you get two positive pulses at double the frequency, if you then use something like a battery or capacitor to 'smooth' the output then you get a DC system and any additional voltage is dissipated as heat. The circuitry in the regulator / rectifier will determine how much of the total current is passed on to the DC feed.

In theory if you change the regulator to a rectifier then you should be able to get a DC feed but this might be very much dependant on the output of the stator as to how much voltage and current you can generate which is related to the numbers of turns and diameter of the wire in the coils and the strength of the magnets though I can't remember the exact relationships there...
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Donnie

But is it possible on a varitronic :wtf:
Donnie.
coaster

Does anyone have a schematic diagram of the Varitronic stator and regulator connections? I would imagine that the Varitronic would also have an AC output feeding into the regulator/rectifier and therefore it might be possible to wire it to a Wassel rectifier for a full DC but a look at a diagram would be essential.
Donnie

this is all I can find anywhere if it's any good?

Donnie.
ScooterLoopyJohn
Dealer
Main scooter: 1970 GP 195cc A/F s'type

I think you would need to see the internal wiring diagram inside the 4 pin regulator to see how or if this is pos.
DigDug

Muppet wrote:educate me :?

DigDug wrote:
You probably need someone who knows what they are talking about.... :idea:
Did you have to do that?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information