(need) Lambretta Technical drawings (Vector)

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
ashf

Hi All. I'm toying with the notion of modifying a Lambretta (Engine swap)

Ideally, a series 2 or 3 and I was hoping for either .dwg or .dxf format so I can take some measurements (got to be a larger framed one)

Has anyone here got any I can look at please ?

Cheers Ash
RICSPEED

any good ?
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
ashf

An excellent start for me:). Are these your drawings ? (might ask for more pics of the detail on the bits I can't read

Cheers !
JINX

One of my personal goals is to draw up a series 3 frame in 3d cad.
I have most of the same images as posted above, but actually reading them, once blown up, is nearly impossible.
Another thought was to scale them up to where they would be actual size, and then trace the line art into 3d vector cad. By using extrusions, rotations and lofts, the 3d content could be figured out. But the line quality is poor at that scale.

The eventual file output would be valuable for any one wanting to adjust their frame, swap engines, modify brackets or customize. It would be a sharable resource.

I'd like to ask for higher resolution scans of the original documents so I can do this and make it available to everyone. 2d outputs from there, at any angle or cross section is a snap. Think about tanks, swingarms, new suspensions, storage boxes, and more.

Im watching for replies....
RICSPEED

as i understand it the owner of these original innocenti blue prints is not into the idea of reproducing as i'm sure they hold great value to them ,so i guess and dimensions will need to be self measured
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
ashf

Shame about that Ricspeed, it will been useful to reproduce them on the CAD so they can be scaled. Are you able to see these drawings again, or get high res pictures of them ?

Jinx, the only ones I have come across so far are here http://www.the-blueprints.com/vectordra ... /lambretta

Without knowing the level of detail in them in terms of the hidden layers and components, I am loath to spend £16 to get a copy of them (have to buy blocks of credits to do this, and even though the drawing is only £3, I am unlikely to use the site again, as they don't have anything else I need)

I have got a bit of a mad plan which will involve a few years of fabrication and fettling, and I need to see what I'm up against to see whether It would work. I have seen an RG250 engine and 350 powervalve into a lammy, but mine is a bit more radical with something a bit bigger again which might involve certification (mine :mrgreen: )
ashf

eden wrote:I started making 3D models of each component a couples of years back but didnt have the time to carry on with it. :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Did you get as far as the frame ?
JINX

Its clear that the information is already in the public domain, the same images of the technical drawings are widely available. I completely understand the stance on the issue from the owner's POV. To me, the originals are a piece of artwork, there is only one original, valuable and prescious.
But, since some of the info of the content has been published, albeit at low resolution, the cat is out of the bag. All I am asking for is a good copy for legibility and faithfulness to the original.
Think of it as a tee shirt print of a famous work of art. It does not lessen the value of the original, its quite the opposite, it heightens the value through its exposure.

As I know there has been alot of careful measuring done to frames and components in the past, the work could be executed in a collaborative manner. The parts then could be pieced together to form a master assembly.

Im just hoping that this can be done the old fashioned way.
If not, I guess I will wait for the cost of a high resolution 3d scanner to come down and get better. There have been recent developments in this area with the use of the Kinect device. With some free software, the scans are fairly useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZZqffZkOw0
From there is just cleaning up the data by making true geometery from the scan.
ashf

Between the original blueprints and access to a bare frame for measuring, you don't really need a 3D co-ordinate measuring machine if you know what you are doing. We have one in work like this pic which can measure more accurately than you would ever see in something mass produced in the 60's

We have a large surface table, vernier height gauges and vernier calipers big enough to figure out the positions of the mounting holes etc (was my job to transfer designs onto components for machining into shape with this kit up before I went into the drawing office). The large bend or compound rads might be more tricky to figure, but not impossible :)
JINX

That looks pricey, so I counter with one of these:
http://www.dirdim.com/prod_digitizers.htm

less bulky, more accurate, but again, cost.

The faro arms are industry standard these days. No human error on reading calipers, its all digital input. I wish we had one at work.
I do think that these will be replaced by the 3d scanners.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information