exhaust Wrap...

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
sydduckett

Im looking for the beigey/off white heat proof exhaust bandage of the type you used to see on old motorbikes. My leggies are shortned and i must have burnt my calf at least 4 times last summer on the expansion.... :twisted: Anyway iv never used this stuff before and was wondering how you attach it to pipe, is it done with wire or are they adheisive and if so once on are they a bugger to get off?

Not sure how it will look so dont want to wrap it in something that i cant then take off.... ;) :D Anybody got any info on pros and cons of this bandage (right word?) and where is the best place to get it?

while im at it does it have a long life or is it somthing that can be cleaned up whilst on the pipe.... :?

Ta
sef
TheSeeker

Have you seen "The worlds fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins? A really great film that I'd recommend. He has a similar problem where his leg is forced to touch a hot un-wrapped section of exhaust because of the fairing. I thought "Why doesn't he wrap some round his leg?"

I guess you need to see the film to understand that.

Anyway it looks a bit rocker but what does anybody care (apart from Comedy Rockers SC) these days.

Ben
sydduckett

TheSeeker wrote:Have you seen "The worlds fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins? A really great film that I'd recommend. He has a similar problem where his leg is forced to touch a hot un-wrapped section of exhaust because of the fairing. I thought "Why doesn't he wrap some round his leg?"

I guess you need to see the film to understand that.

Anyway it looks a bit rocker but what does anybody care (apart from Comedy Rockers SC) these days.

Ben
watched that film (or was forced to) 4 times while on Coaches travelling round aussie. Burning flesh didnt stop him but its stopping me.... :D
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

I've got some titanium wrap on my end can.
It's just dampened to make it pliable, then wrapped round in an overlapping manner. then secured with some stainless straps [you could use jubilee clips, but the straps are neater]
what's the pipe made of ? the wrap will retain some moisture and rot if mild steel. my end can is aluminium, so that's ok. would be fine on stainless pipe. otherwise you'd be wanting to take it off periodically to check & maintain the metal.
I like the look, and I have burnt trousers on my can before.

"World's Fastest Indian" ~ one of my favourite films, still moves me when he does that final run
RICSPEED

where exactly do you want to wrap syd?? ....gonna fit one of these to my gp at some point -

http://shop.1stmx.co.uk/universal-exhau ... -194-p.asp
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
JDale
Main scooter: Lambretta Jet 200

You could always make a heat shield out of metal plate, and cover the inside with the exhaust wrap, there by keeping a nice metal outer shield that looks the part.
sydduckett

RICSPEED wrote:where exactly do you want to wrap syd?? ....gonna fit one of these to my gp at some point -

http://shop.1stmx.co.uk/universal-exhau ... -194-p.asp
Want to do the whole pipe (franspeed) from the stub to where the spring starts for the slip joint by the end can. I like the way they look on some of the cafe style bikes that seem to be back in vouge. not sure how it will look on a lambretta....we shall see... :D

That bit does look a bit trick though, would defo suit a street racer style scoot.
doggbhoy

i've done this to few boy racer type cars at work mostly subarus :roll: you just measure out what you need soak it in water then wrap it tightly with stainless (which all are, i think) jubilee clips at either end. i have found these to be the best way to secure it, better and neater than wire.
think the stuff we use is from demon tweaks
gabba gabba hey gabba we accept you one of us
saigonmark

I wrapped my NK race on my RB20 mainly to get the noise down but also for the looks. It's almost halved the exhaust note and gives it a kind of deep muffled sound. I found the stainless ties provided were not very good so I secured it with stainless jubilee clips.

This is what I used but I manged to get a 30m roll quite cheap off of eBay.
http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/Exhaus ... p-105-408/

I can post some pics if anyone is interested.
red ghost
Xbox live gamer tag: Pleasure Master
Main scooter: lambretta gp150

saigonmark wrote:I wrapped my NK race on my RB20 mainly to get the noise down but also for the looks. It's almost halved the exhaust note and gives it a kind of deep muffled sound. I found the stainless ties provided were not very good so I secured it with stainless jubilee clips.

This is what I used but I manged to get a 30m roll quite cheap off of eBay.
http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/Exhaus ... p-105-408/

I can post some pics if anyone is interested.

I'm interested.. and much much left over from 30m
How come phonetics isn't spelt with an 'f'?

Check out my boobs! <-- <--Just imagine being burried between those puppies!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information