exhaust Wrap...

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
madmaex08

yes, thats exactly what i meant.

proofing? you mean like in sealing? against what? my wraps are untreated.

i do know of someone who injected fertan into the wrap and almost had his complete exhaust eaten up by this. in my opinion any rust prevention has to be done on the metal itself before you wrap it up.

will get some pics from the home computer until tomorrow.
madmaex08

this is my 2.5 inch wide graphite black thermotec wrap on my fat mamba (wrapped in the double fashion as already stated). snuggly fit underneath the floorboards of my S2. 3500km and a season later it still looks pretty much the same, only closer to the downpipe it is a little bit oily because the slip connection doesn´t seal properly yet.

this is what it would look like if you still used thermotec, but the 5 inch wide wrap in the normal coloring and wrapped in 1 go

this is what it looks like if you use a cheap version of an exhaust wrap again wrapped in 1 go. it still does the trick of quieting the screaming of the exhaust, but is fat, dirty and looks ugly.

sydduckett

madmaex08 wrote:this is my 2.5 inch wide graphite black thermotec wrap on my fat mamba (wrapped in the double fashion as already stated). snuggly fit underneath the floorboards of my S2. 3500km and a season later it still looks pretty much the same, only closer to the downpipe it is a little bit oily because the slip connection doesn´t seal properly yet.

this is what it would look like if you still used thermotec, but the 5 inch wide wrap in the normal coloring and wrapped in 1 go

this is what it looks like if you use a cheap version of an exhaust wrap again wrapped in 1 go. it still does the trick of quieting the screaming of the exhaust, but is fat, dirty and looks ugly.

Thanks for that, does look trick..
RBG

I'm looking at doing the same, what width wrap did you guys find works best and what length was used roughly
on your franspeed.

I've found a shop near me that sells VHT flameproof paint, Black 1" or 2" x 15', 1" or 2" x 50' exhaust wrap plus
a High-Temperature Silicone exhaust wrap coating.

Any tips that worked?

Im presently planning on painting with VHT flameproof then wrapping from the silencer to the widest point
and from the barrel back to the same point, then coated with the DEI High Temp Silicone wrap coating.
Im wanting it looking neat cause I've got cut rear foot boards so the exhaust can be seen.
Thinking about using 2 x 2" x 15' unless I need longer than 30'.
MattsDad

DO NOT wrap the first quarter of your pipe from the barrel, this is where you heat slug is and you will nip it up.
COCKSPEED TUNING
gavi4t
Main scooter: lambretta gp450

got sum on my gp450 ,very good stuff but smokes like bob marley on a saturday night until it beds in and stinks ,held mine on with stainless clips and hasnt moved for two years . :D
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

I do all the exhausts on my bike builds with wrap, first as I like the look, but also as I built all my own exhausts and cant afford fancy finishes like chrome or ceramic etc etc

where possibly I wrap the other way around to many people, if you start at the back and work forwards, then you get a lip that seems to happily attract and trap the crud from the road as you ride along

I work away from the manifol, that way in my opinion, not only does it visually look better as you generally follow an exhaust from manifold to outlet when looking at it, but its stays cleaner in my experience

rain and road dirt seems to run down or along it easier

maybe its different for under a scooter, but hey I thought I could make a contribution, so I have :)
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
sydduckett

MattsDad wrote:DO NOT wrap the first quarter of your pipe from the barrel, this is where you heat slug is and you will nip it up.
this was my main worry when considering to do this. Can you give any more info on why you leave the first 1/4 bare

Ta
sydduckett

RBG wrote:I'm looking at doing the same, what width wrap did you guys find works best and what length was used roughly
on your franspeed.

I've found a shop near me that sells VHT flameproof paint, Black 1" or 2" x 15', 1" or 2" x 50' exhaust wrap plus
a High-Temperature Silicone exhaust wrap coating.

Any tips that worked?

Im presently planning on painting with VHT flameproof then wrapping from the silencer to the widest point
and from the barrel back to the same point, then coated with the DEI High Temp Silicone wrap coating.
Im wanting it looking neat cause I've got cut rear foot boards so the exhaust can be seen.
Thinking about using 2 x 2" x 15' unless I need longer than 30'.
sounds as though we have similar set ups, im using a fransped with no rear runners as well. I also have some VHT on order. I wasnt going to go with the silcone though as some of the wraps dont reccomend it. just need to decide what make of wrap and what size. Looks as though 2.5 inches may be the way to go.... :?
L.V.
Main scooter: sx200

I wrapped my H-D pipes in it, to protect my legs, If you buy black it go's white eventually, 30 meters does a 2 1/2" pipe 3 1/2 foot long. It doesent matter how carefull you are it goes tatty after a while.
I found the best way to wrap was to soak the wrap in warm water and to start at the end pipe end slightly overlapping and to secur with juberly clips.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information