exhaust Wrap...

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
sydduckett

saigonmark wrote:I wrapped my NK race on my RB20 mainly to get the noise down but also for the looks. It's almost halved the exhaust note and gives it a kind of deep muffled sound. I found the stainless ties provided were not very good so I secured it with stainless jubilee clips.

This is what I used but I manged to get a 30m roll quite cheap off of eBay.
http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/Exhaus ... p-105-408/

I can post some pics if anyone is interested.
Mark, could you post some pics. My only concerns were that it would get very dirty/tatty from the weather, not something you need to worry about i guess... :D and whether it would rot out the pipe by trapping water? Im hoping it has the opposite effect... :? Did you use the carbon fibre look one in your link and did you spray it with silicone after?

Ta
soullad
Dealer

why not spray the wrap with that ACF 50 stuff.
you'll wear out the bearings / rings / seals / clutch plates / reed petals etc etc before you need to worry about the exhaust.
Job done.
sydduckett

soullad wrote:why not spray the wrap with that ACF 50 stuff.
you'll wear out the bearings / rings / seals / clutch plates / reed petals etc etc before you need to worry about the exhaust.
Job done.
its not heat proof i believe...?
saigonmark

sydduckett wrote:
saigonmark wrote:I wrapped my NK race on my RB20 mainly to get the noise down but also for the looks. It's almost halved the exhaust note and gives it a kind of deep muffled sound. I found the stainless ties provided were not very good so I secured it with stainless jubilee clips.

This is what I used but I manged to get a 30m roll quite cheap off of eBay.
http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/Exhaus ... p-105-408/

I can post some pics if anyone is interested.
Mark, could you post some pics. My only concerns were that it would get very dirty/tatty from the weather, not something you need to worry about i guess... :D and whether it would rot out the pipe by trapping water? Im hoping it has the opposite effect... :? Did you use the carbon fibre look one in your link and did you spray it with silicone after?

Ta
Syd, yes I used the carbon look because they say it doesn't need sealing with the silicone spray (I bought it last summer in England so would not be able to carry the spray back here on the flight without getting arrested ..lol). With the weather back home I would have thought sealing it would be better which means you can use the cheaper non carbon look stuff. We do get a lot of rain here in the wet season but the ambient temp is such that it dries up very quickly.

I've just moved house so the scoot is still parked up at the last place but I should be getting it this w/e so I'll get some pics put up.

Cheers
saigonmark

As promised a few photos. Looks like I've caught it whilst on the road so it's split it a bit. Going to re wrap over the top with the rest of the roll that's left.

red ghost
Xbox live gamer tag: Pleasure Master
Main scooter: lambretta gp150

When you say 'moved house', you meant mansion right? :shock:
How come phonetics isn't spelt with an 'f'?

Check out my boobs! <-- <--Just imagine being burried between those puppies!
sydduckett

Cheers mark, i like the look even if it does get a bit dirty over time. Think i may go for the black wrap...
saigonmark

red ghost wrote:When you say 'moved house', you meant mansion right? :shock:
Ha ha...the good thing about big houses is that you can keep your bike inside. A necessity over here as it's a nation of thieving scum, still I think it makes a nice ornament under the stairs...LOL

One thing is that when you fit the wrap it's better you wear some sort of face mask as the fibers are small (like loft insulation) and it irritates when you breath it in. You should wear gloves too but it's impossible to wrap it whilst wearing gloves. I soaked mine in water first to keep the fibers down.
madmaex08

there are many different wraps on the market. the best by far IMHO is from thermo-tec. i use the graphite black one on both of my TS1 machines. http://www.thermotec.com/products/11021 ... black.html

for rustprotection underneath the wrap i use VHT paint http://www.vhtpaint.com/flameproof.html this is the most heat resistant paint i found so far. its even available in a multitude of colors as well as in clear! in fact i use it on all my exhausts.

as already mentioned, dip the wrap in water first, wear gloves and a breathing mask - this stuff is aggressive on your skin and lungs.

do not wrap the exhaust in 1 go because then it is possible for the wrap to come loose. always go from thin to thick, this way you get a tight fit. 2 seperate sections that meet at the exhaustmount should do the trick. stainless jubilee is a good idea od course.

i have ridden my first wrap around 3.500km last year. it certainly did what i wanted it to do - dampen the banshee sound of my fat mamba. as long as you don´t go swimming with it, the heat of the exhaust will dry it up in notime. sofar no problems with rust at all. also with the kinda black wrap it really doesn´t look dirty - i like the look a lot.

will post a couple pics later if you are interested.
sydduckett

madmaex08 wrote:there are many different wraps on the market. the best by far IMHO is from thermo-tec. i use the graphite black one on both of my TS1 machines. http://www.thermotec.com/products/11021 ... black.html

for rustprotection underneath the wrap i use VHT paint http://www.vhtpaint.com/flameproof.html this is the most heat resistant paint i found so far. its even available in a multitude of colors as well as in clear! in fact i use it on all my exhausts.

as already mentioned, dip the wrap in water first, wear gloves and a breathing mask - this stuff is aggressive on your skin and lungs.

do not wrap the exhaust in 1 go because then it is possible for the wrap to come loose. always go from thin to thick, this way you get a tight fit. 2 seperate sections that meet at the exhaustmount should do the trick. stainless jubilee is a good idea od course.

i have ridden my first wrap around 3.500km last year. it certainly did what i wanted it to do - dampen the banshee sound of my fat mamba. as long as you don´t go swimming with it, the heat of the exhaust will dry it up in notime. sofar no problems with rust at all. also with the kinda black wrap it really doesn´t look dirty - i like the look a lot.

will post a couple pics later if you are interested.
Some pics would be great. When you say "from thin to thick" do you mean you start from the stub end, wrap up until just before where the main exhast bracket fits to the case. Then start from the end can end and meet up with the first wrap? Hope that made sense..... :? :D

Ps did you bother proofing it after you had put it on?
ta.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information