Re: 12V DC CONVERSION - HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i dont think i said flywheel and cdi unit, they are not the same as points versions, is it a standard engine or tuned ? this will influence your choice of flywheel, eg lightened or standard.
loadedscooterist
Main scooter: lambretta li150 special

Hi there, Yes I have a battery tray and this scoot is bog standard so a normal weight flywheel.
firekdp

loadedscooterist wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm Hi there, Yes I have a battery tray and this scoot is bog standard so a normal weight flywheel.
I've always had very good reliability with points on standard motors so do the 12v DC conversion on these.
ImageIMG_20160701_142451295 by Kevin Pettitt
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

may I ask about a related matter ?
When converting to 12V points ignition many owners also choose to convert to a Vespa PX type coil which can usually be fixed in the same position as the original Lambretta coil.
However if you are also converting to fully electronic ignition how and where do you best fix the CDI and regulator ?

i have seen various aluminium plates on ebay but they never show where they should fitted on the scoot or what exactly will fix to the pre-drilled holes .

I assume that its best to fit junction boxes CDI and regulator/rectifier etc above the rear mudguard away from water and road muck .

has anyone got a picture they could post showing how they have fitted their components ?
firekdp

johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

thats excellent firekdp very helpful thank you
YAMLAM

I have been well happy with my wassell conversion, even fitted a couple of others to friends Scoots .
Now want to use one on my Lambretta chopper , can i use this instead of the branded "wassell unit "?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Wire-Full- ... SwjzJa35W3
win or lose have a booze
soulsurfer

Probably, but the reason the Wassell ones were sourced in the first place was due to their reliability, cheap, Chinese copy springs to mind here...ya pays ya money...
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I personally have no fear of cheap chinese copies. In my work we source a lot of equipment from china and there is no difference in quality. You can buy s**t or quality in China and you can buy s**t or quality in Europe too.
YAMLAM

Thanks Guys, for that money i might take a punt.
Everything with the name wassell on it seams to be more expensive , they are either a big manufacturer or source quality parts and rebrand with their name.
just googled them, quite interesting :-http://www.totalbikebits.com/wassell_history.html
win or lose have a booze
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information