Re: 12V DC CONVERSION - HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
mac

Managed to have a quick look this morning,

I've got continuity between the yellows and no continuity between the yellows and stator, I can't see any break or cut in the wires
firekdp

mac wrote:Managed to have a quick look this morning,

I've got continuity between the yellows and no continuity between the yellows and stator, I can't see any break or cut in the wires
Then there may be nothing wrong with the system at all, try fitting a battery (with fuse) or a capacitor to the reg/rec output and measure the voltage again.
coaster

Can you describe exactly how you connected your extras yellow wire to the stator (a photo would be ideal), just wondering if you connected it to the right place and also that the lighting coils have been dissconnected from the earth tag :?
mac

I removed the wire from the earth tag and soldered on the new yellow wire,

Do you have any readings I could go by to check it over, I don't want to have to put a standard stator and reg back on as I'd have to make a new loom up aswell and it's being picked up tomorrow :oops:

mark

Have you tried it all connected up and running lights?
mac

Everything works fine off the battery, if I bypass the battery all the lights work a little bit dimmer but not 6 volt dim if that makes sense, I just want to be sure that it's got enough coming out of the reg to charge the battery.
coaster

First thing would be to check with your meter on resistance between the yellows and earth, it should read infinity, and reading at all will indicate a short to earth. Yellow to Yell on resistance should read somewhere around 1 - 2 ohms ish. Then connect it all up and put the meter on DC volts and connect it across the battery. With the negine running the volts should rise with revs and ideally will peak at around 14 volts or so. The stator looks to be wired correctly btw 8-)
mac

Checked it all over no shorts etc, connected everything back up and tested the voltage and all's fine going up to 14v

I should have just checked it with everything connected up rather than taking the battery out the circuit and saved myself some work :roll:

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

If its working great, just a point for anyone else doing one I would not run the new yellow round like that, it will be very close to the boss and only has to move a bit to rub away the outer and short. I bring them up from behind close to the coil.
coaster

Monty wrote:If its working great, just a point for anyone else doing one I would not run the new yellow round like that, it will be very close to the boss and only has to move a bit to rub away the outer and short. I bring them up from behind close to the coil.
Well spotted that man, there are plenty of holes in the base plate to run the extra wire through which would be a better solution than running it on top. However, a couple of blobs of araldite to hold the yellow out of harms way would sufffice rather than re-running it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information