Re: 12V DC CONVERSION - HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
mac

Advise please, I've converted a stator to DC and fitted the unit etc and having a couple of probs!

What voltage should be coming from each of the yellows and should they be the same or is it variable
mark

What problems?
What voltage you got from the red out of wassel?
What stator?
mac

On the red I've got 4 volts DC on tickover and 3 volts when the rev's rise if I connect it to the loom it rises to around 6 volts.

On one yellow I've got around 15 volts AC and the other about 5 volts AC

Forgot to add SIL stator
mark

That's odd. You got a pic of stator. Run a continuity test between the yellows of stator and the stator plate mounting plate
mac

Very odd, prob not going to able to look at it until Saturday, so just wanted to get a few ideas to check out before I start replacing things
mark

To me it seems as if you have a bad connection on the new yellow even possibly still earthing
mac

Cheers I'll test it and rewire, I've got another one already converted that I can swap it with and another regulator
coaster

Edited, oops, didn't look far enough down the page, mark has covered all the likely issues, it's easy to nip the extra wire when bolting the stator down.
mac

It'll teach me right for putting the rear footboard back on before I tested the output with a meter :oops:
firekdp

mac wrote:On the red I've got 4 volts DC on tickover and 3 volts when the rev's rise if I connect it to the loom it rises to around 6 volts.

On one yellow I've got around 15 volts AC and the other about 5 volts AC

Forgot to add SIL stator
You will need a battery or capacitor connected to the reg/rec to get it to function correctly and get a decent voltage out of it.
The AC reading should be taken from between the yellows, not from each yellow to earth. In fact, with the yellows disconnected from the reg/rec there should be no voltage between them and earth (although the meter may read a very small voltage).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information