My scootering history 1975 to date - Cobby from Lincoln

Show photo's of your scootering history, dont be shy, we all looked stupid back in the day :)
cuttingedge1

As a young boy at school in the pre Quadrophenia era, all I wanted was a Lambretta. My first Lambretta came about in 1975 at the age of 18, I could have got one earlier but I wanted a particular one and the lad who owned it couldn't sell it until he had finished his apprenticeship, so I decided to wait. The time eventually came and I was the proud owner of a GP125. Unfortunately no decent pics.
The tinkering started in earnest and I realised what I really wanted was a cutdown (sorry purists) and the machine below was my first real success, "Poetry in Motion" this first hit the streets around 1975, the pic below is Skeggy.
I built a few others but this one stayed with me until around 1983, I also had a Vespa Rally 200 during this period that I bought brand new from Wests of Lincoln, I just couldn't get on with it and I only kept it for around 6 months. Lambrettas were for me and my next cutdown "Cut to the Quick" was finished around 1984, the pic below shows me ready to roll, Isle of Wight 1985 (I think)
I kept this one along with others until the end of the 80's when divorce, financial embarrassment etc took control.
The pic below is possibly a reason for the divorce, this was built and sprayed in the new marital home :oops: The marriage didn't last a year, but I luckily met someone who has now been with me for 26 years, dont know how she's put up with me but she's very supportive of my scootering obsession.
I missed out the 90's but kept in touch with local clubs and mates, knowing it wouldn't be long. Unfortunately a bad accident in 93 left me in a bad way for around two years, so scooters were the last thing on my mind. In 1999 I bought a chopped about italian import, that became "Cutting Edge" and along with my series 1 framebreather and a series 3 LI the last decade has been brilliant.
Cheers all - Cobby from Lincoln
RICSPEED

very good ,thanks :D
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Nice one Mate , some dodgy barnets on there fella :D :D
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
carlos fandango

Nice Pics , so thats why your username is Cuttingedge :)
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
RICSPEED

let have a look at this winter model
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

carlos fandango wrote:Nice Pics , so thats why your username is Cuttingedge :)

Thats what his series 2 cutdowns called mate
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
cuttingedge1

RICSPEED wrote:let have a look at this winter model
Hi Ric, its not actually a Winter Model, what I wanted to do was build a Lammy to celebrate 50 years of the Rallymaster, as I understand it the first Rallymaster was produced in the UK in 1961 by Lambretta Concessionaires, so when I picked up a 1961 Italian series 2 frame the plan started. I've managed to source all Italian bodywork and bought re made Spanish style turning mudguard and extended horncasting from Buzz. It wont be an exact copy of a Rallymaster as I want practicality over the look, it will be more "in the style of" if you follow. When the weather improves I will complete a dry build of the bodywork prior to paint and I'll post up a pic at that stage, more likely to be in the new year now as its too bloody cold !

Toddy: My cutdowns a series 3, not one for splitting hairs :lol:
RICSPEED

cuttingedge1 wrote:
RICSPEED wrote:let have a look at this winter model
Hi Ric, its not actually a Winter Model, what I wanted to do was build a Lammy to celebrate 50 years of the Rallymaster, as I understand it the first Rallymaster was produced in the UK in 1961 by Lambretta Concessionaires, so when I picked up a 1961 Italian series 2 frame the plan started. I've managed to source all Italian bodywork and bought re made Spanish style turning mudguard and extended horncasting from Buzz. It wont be an exact copy of a Rallymaster as I want practicality over the look, it will be more "in the style of" if you follow. When the weather improves I will complete a dry build of the bodywork prior to paint and I'll post up a pic at that stage, more likely to be in the new year now as its too bloody cold !

Toddy: My cutdowns a series 3, not one for splitting hairs :lol:
my mistake ...seen your build on l**b .....but i cant post on there :D
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

Great history and a nice write up and photos! Thanks for posting
Cec

Nice insight there Cobby.I really enjoyed your resto thread on the series 3 a while back on another forum. The series 1 deservedly won the custom show at our do last May (Donny Hunters)....I think you ought to go for another flat top haircut though ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information