Scomadi 125 top speed

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

A few interesting comments flying about regarding Scomadi top speeds. I'm keen to hear what people can verify as accurate GPS recordings of top speeds from the 125cc??

Personally i wouldn't expect much more than 55-60mph from a 125 4-stroke TL125, 55 being 'out of the box' and closer to 60 when run in......so what speeds are we seeing 'real world'?

As for those with the 155 or 170 aftermarket cylinder kits.....my opinion on this is that they will give good lower/mid-range grunt, but wont alter the top speed without a gearing kit and/or CDI......for more speed you either need more revs (CDI) or different gearing (CVT). So in terms of top speed, the kit will be largely irrelevant without them.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

70+ according to Scootering Magazine Dan.

I agree with you that's a little optimistic.... ;)
Did you have to do that?
eden
Dealer

It's 57mph on the flat.. fact!

Someone I know riding theirs. I was asked to clock it as he thought the speedo was out and it was. You can't see the scomadi speedo but you do see me pull up close4 and look at it. It was reading 65+.
The speedo on my winter model is matched to the GPS speedo on the garmin satnav on the right.
The SIP speedo running off cable drive in my headset reads about 3-4 mph higher than the Gamma speedo that you can see on the left.

This one does have a kit but has not yet been up geared!

Last edited by eden on Fri May 27, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
eden
Dealer

But to be fare to the scomadi... most scooter speedos read 10mph high.
If I had a pound for every time someone I've overtaken has said to me later. " how fast was you going? I was sitting 70mph and you flew past" and I've replied saying they should get a speedo that works because I was only doing 65mph.

So in relation to typical scooter quoted speeds the 70mph stated is about right but real gps speeds are a lot slower.
ArmandTanzarian

By law, speedos should only over read by 10% so when they say 70, you're probably only doing 63 or 64. That said, my GTS300 speedo is further out than that. When it says 40, I'm actually doing about 33. The fastest I've ever had out of it is about 75 but the speedo was at about 86.

My Lambretta on the other hand does 60 20 90 50 all at the same time!
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
drunkmunkey6969

eden wrote:It's 57mph on the flat.. fact!
Putting fact and an exclamation mark at the end of a sentence doesn't make it the one and only definitive answer.....fact! :roll:

However what your video proves, is that the particular Scomadi you trailed, did 57mph.....and that fits in with the figures I'm getting quoted by various dealers as the average figure. So circa 55mph(+/-) out of the box, and up to 60mph(+/-) when run in and the engine has loosened up a bit. So it does what it says on the tin.

As for the readers and owners of featured scooters quoting top speed figures in the magazine which are on the 'generous' side......well, I've never seen that before! :lol:

So, what i'd be interested to know now is.........what's the BHP difference with only a kit fitted, the same with only a pipe fitted, what's the rev limit raised by with only a CDI fitted, and what's the net MPH result of fitting only a gearing kit. THEN....whats the overall result of fitting them in a) £-economical combinations to give bang for buck and then b) throw the £-kitchen sink at it and fit them all.

If only i knew a man at a magazine, with contacts in the industry, his own dyno and who was willing to do such a piece in the coming editions......... ;)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I used to design speedos when I was younger and the specs were -0% +20%. A speedo could read much faster, but never slower. This is to take into account manufacturing tolerances and tyre wear/types. I used to design mine as close as possible to 0%, but there were some where the tolerance changed through the speedo range. These were electronic speedos.

The speedo on mine is mainly used to indicate that I am moving.
immylam

3 i know of do between 55 flat - 60 downhill head on handlebars. Really struggle 2's up and going up hills. Availability of kits just isn't there and as stated before without rollers upgraded elastic bands etc the kits will only do the same top end but get you there a bit quicker. Those in Scomadi circles say that kits are more readily available for the 50cc model and getting them up to 65+ is easier than the 125's but this is only here-say on my behalf.
eden
Dealer

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
eden wrote:It's 57mph on the flat.. fact!
Putting fact and an exclamation mark at the end of a sentence doesn't make it the one and only definitive answer.....fact! :roll:
Maybe not for you but it does for me, that's a fact!

This scomadi is run it by the way.

Just because someone not connected to a magazine says something is a fact it doesn't make it less of a fact.
Producing dyno numbers as you suggest would give an idea of how the parts effect the power out put at the back wheel. But these scooters are made for riding on the road in real conditions so evidence of them on the road is way more useful than how they perform on a dyno in controlled conditions.

I think that's a fact too, but my assumption is that some will beg to differ. ;)

Dan you asked a specific question and I gave the factual answer based on a real world test I did just a few weeks ago.

I don't see how it's not factual. That's a fact!

;)

What speeds were actually quoted in scootering anyway?
I haven't seen the article.
drunkmunkey6969

immylam wrote:.....Availability of kits just isn't there....
155cc kit: http://www.readspeedscooters.com/produc ... 155cc.html

170cc kit: http://www.readspeedscooters.com/produc ... 170cc.html

CDI: http://www.readspeedscooters.com/produc ... e-cdi.html

I understand that gearing kits are imminent, and PM have a few prototypes out there already.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information