water cooled twin

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

heres a pic of the adjustable fan switch ive fitted
ImageIMG_1926_zps7nzbez6v by stephen holt, on Flickr

it has a thermocouple that goes into the radiator hose.ImageIMG_1927_zpspyxewyre by stephen holt, on Flickr

update, the thermocouple in the hose caused it to run hot, a restriction in the flow , so i attached it to the copper metal pipe and it works fine now.
Last edited by holty on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
holty

http://vid1168.photobucket.com/albums/r ... coulk0.mp4[/photobuckvid]
first start up after rebuild, had a small coolant leak, otherwise no problems, just needs running in.
holty

you may have seen in the video that only half of my led rear light was working, it was an expermental version that i tried using 2 led boards, one half has given up the ghost, so i have replaced the boards with the flexi waterproof strips that i usually use and it works fine now.
holty

this was what the light looked like when i removed it
ImageIMG_1967_zpsbl1dlhlo by stephen holt, on Flickr
i forgot to take a pic of the finished light, but this is one i made for someone the other day, pretty much the same using the flexi led strips

ImageIMG_1968_zpsjsktdkrs by stephen holt, on Flickr
Last edited by holty on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stampede
Main scooter: SX200

Which temperature of the cooling liquid can you achieve with the fan and the rad underneath the floorboards?

I´ve mounted my rad behind the front mudguard, unfortunately it´s currently running at about 75°c, which is at least 10° too hot. Thinking of putting a small, second radiator under the floorboards.
holty

Stampede wrote:Which temperature of the cooling liquid can you achieve with the fan and the rad underneath the floorboards?

I´ve mounted my rad behind the front mudguard, unfortunately it´s currently running at about 75°c, which is at least 10° too hot. Thinking of putting a small, second radiator under the floorboards.
hi stampede, sorry i didnt reply sooner, ive been on holiday and didnt notice your post, my temp gauge isnt in degrees, its just red at the top, generaly it stays halfway, especialy when riding,even giving it big licks it stays cool, mines a 4l0 engine and they dont have a thermostat.if i am around town stopping at traffic lights and stop starting the temp can rise up a little higher although my fan does keep it from getting too hot. ive fitted an adjustable fan switch which helps, i think a manual overide fan switch might also be worth having for when im in trafic, the ambient temp also affects the fan switch. a second rad will help you to keep you motor cooler, have you got a thermostat in yours its ypvs isnt it, im sure you can buy a 50 degree thermostat ,also do you have a bypass connected, if not i belive you will need a hole in the thermostat, im also using a chariot high capacity water pump, have you got a fan behind your radiator, that may help,
best regards,
steve
:D
Stampede
Main scooter: SX200

Hi Steve,
thanks for your quick feedback, always appreciated.
Yes, mine´s a YPVS, but I already have the thermostat removed and a fan installed (automatically switches on at 60°). Seems that the position of the rad behind the mudguard isn´t perfect. But the improved impeller from Chariot is also a good idea, will try that.
KR,
Alex
holty

yes a high capacity pump might help a bit, i presume you have cut a hole in the legshields, the bit where the mudguard goes, have you made as big a hole as poss, obviously the frame tube blocks some airflow, also have you sealed the radiator to the legshields, so air cant bleed around the outside, avoiding the radiator core, have you mounted it inside a toolbox ?
holty
holty

Last edited by holty on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
holty

just taken the beast for its second mot, hard to belive its been on the road a year already, it passed no problem, happy days!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information