REMADE ORIGINAL DISCBRAKES : ITALIAN OR SCOOTRS TYPE ?

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
shocky

sugarlump wrote:Image
ROFL :lol:
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
dirtyhandslopez

Even I remember that PMSL :lol: :lol:
Brilliant!!
That's not going anywhere...
Nic

Soulpunk wrote:thanks.
thats what you say about your own product.
ok.
anyone else ?
I've not compared Tino's version and the ScootRs one side by side, but have seen both and looked them over fairly carefully at different times. Tino's was OK when it first came out and there were no other alternatives for people who couldn't be bothered to look out for an original Campagnolo. Compared to the original it was always rough as fcuk, only thing that made it bearable was you could use filler to smooth out most of the imperfections.

By contrast, I've compared a ScootRS one with an original. Personally, I would use the Campagnolo every time purely for originality in a standard set-up. But if you are looking to do a semi-hydraulic set-up why waste an original? Or in a straight choice between Tino's or the ScootRS, my vote's for the Vietnamese version every time as it looks a much better product.

Please note, I have no knowledge of safety issues relevant to either. I'm basing my comment purely on visual closeness to the original and the ScootRS disc brake wins by a country mile.
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

I have been using a remade sand cast (sorry don't know the country of origin probably Italian) inboard disc brake on my Indian GP for about two years. The unit was purchased when the scoot was built from Resurrection Scooters for about £180. My experiences are as follows:-

As mentioned previously there are issues with the finish but I did check it thoroughly before fitting and had to file a little in the actuating lever recess and find a better retaining circlip for lever as the circlip groove was a bit 'vague'.

I am keenly aware that these brake units have to be kept adjusted properly by making sure the fixed pad is just touching the disc although this is not a difficult job and it's very exposed position reminds me to keep checking the whole thing at weekly intervals.

The brake is nowhere near as good as the outboard hydraulic units sold but for 'originality' looks I prefer the the design. Braking is, on my scoot, steady and a little progressive. Not as good as a drun brake but in wet weather it is invaluable, no fade, no locking up.

I have experienced no problems at all with the unit apart from it's very basic design, but as I have always trusted in the design and never been let down, I shall continue to use one.

As a current user of the disc brake in it's standard form and not having a road ripping engine I am very satisfied with it's performance.

Hope that helps a bit.
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
scootRS.com
Dealer

Yours would likely be the local Vietnamese one. We've seen them crack open on the axle area, and as a UK shop posted on this forum:
If you're buying make sure you get the ScootRS type (pressure cast) as opposed to the Sterling/SPAQ type (sand cast) - we have seen one of the pepperpot style with holes crack on the thinnest part of the hub and also a standard outboard one crack the mounting lugs (which resulted in the wheel rim parting from the hub after it happened - both were Sterling/SPAQ - just thought I'd better share this info with you.
I think you'll find many dealers have now moved away from the sand cast ones, including Resurrection. They make no sense given what little price saving there is (if at all).

To show you why they crack, here's the same local Vietnam make and sand casting as yours on hydraulic hubs. The casting is very porous and not dense, not to mention imprecise:

Andy

I'm a fussy git when it comes to originality but have to say that ScootRS die cast one looks superbly made and most probably as close as you'll get to an original..
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

I have to say also the the ScootRS unit looks the best and had that been available at the time, I would have bought it. But it was a choice between what I have and a fabulously expensive 40 year old one.

Out of curiosity are the ScootRS brakes sold as a complete kit or could I just buy the backplate and hub and transfer my brake internals across to it :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

NB. I inspected my hubs today and they are not as bad as the sterling/Spaq ones so I think I may have the Italian version.
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
scootRS.com
Dealer

Your hub would be bondod and painted, but underneath they are like that if you blasted it.

Yes, the 2 sides are available, but the disc inside yours or some other little items might not be a proper fit depending what they did. Often things like that are made to fit and not the same as original. Have to try.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

I had the italian original DL cable disc brake on a DL 200 in early 90s and it was s**t even with reverse pull still s**t to be honest..id go hydraulic every time (money permiting) which is why i got standard cable set up.. :cry: .
Like the look of scootrs hub looks a proper job good work mate..How much them go for ??? do they fit standard links.
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Lor@n

You need disc links to go with the Scootrs remade discbrake.
http://lambrettiste.free.fr to get a FREE proper timing disc --> http://lambrettiste.free.fr/documents/f ... gradue.pdf
"A tidy shed is a sign of mental disorder"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information