Stainless or plated fixings?

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Forget about Europe and all that. This is one of the most important questions of our time. Some prefer stainless fixings, others don't. I'm not entirely sure why. Something that doesn't rust would seem reasonable. Or is it just a question of authenticity?
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Depends on what look you are going for. Stainless can polish out nice with out too much upkeep.

Also, stainless fixings like to gall unless lubricated and can be a pain if they get stuck. Iron/steel likes to rust unless plated.

I've run them both and it comes down to the type of bike I'm building. Restorations never have SS HW, where custom/race stuff usually has SS HW
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Hmmm... I have used stainless in the past for certain items where it would seem to make sense. But I've never gone overboard for it to the extent that I would fit out an entire scooter with it. Maybe that's the key.
Grumpy225

Doom Patrol wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:34 pm Hmmm... I have used stainless in the past for certain items where it would seem to make sense. But I've never gone overboard for it to the extent that I would fit out an entire scooter with it. Maybe that's the key.
Yep, all or nothing.
chippy

Must admit I have a fetish for stainless steel :lol: stainless bolts and nylocs. Never sure if you should copper grease stainless bolts into alloy though. Answers appreciated.
Grumpy225

Yes always lube stainless. SS has a high friction value and it’s always good to put anti seize on dissimilar metals (and similar). There is a great paper floating around the Internet on mechanical fasteners written by NASA. It goes in to detail on all types of metal fasteners and why they are good/bad for specific applications. If I can find it I’ll post it.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Main problem is stainless bolts with stainless nuts. Usually ok into aluminium or carbon steel.

I must say I've never had any problems with stainless fasteners apart from big m16 etc with high torque that we use at work. Even then, anti galling paste stops that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information