advice on spraying cellulose please

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Spend the time on prepping. Between primer coats flash a matt black aerosol across the surfaces. This will highlight any remaining dents etc. It's the primer that has to take up any imperfections NOT the top coat.
I NEVER flatted between top coats unless something had gone wrong. If you get a bad run let it harden and you'll have to "flat" it out. 4 or 5 topcoats finishing off at somewhere between 70/30 and 75/25 thinners to paint. Be consistent and try to spray all parts with the same mix. Start by spraying a sheet of ply or something to make sure the gun is running OK.
Finish up with compound and a polisher.
Have everything hanging securely. Wear a mask !
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

whole of scooter now primered,rear runners,handle bar lower and upperhave had 3 coats of cellulose top coat with standard thinners will put a few more on with high shine thinners. Problem is legshields have got loads of small dings in (must have been raced down a shingle beach!) I have used standard cellulose primer on everything, should I get Hi build primer for the leggies? is it available in cellulose and will it do the job? thanks
J1MS

Suede Ed wrote:whole of scooter now primered,rear runners,handle bar lower and upperhave had 3 coats of cellulose top coat with standard thinners will put a few more on with high shine thinners. Problem is legshields have got loads of small dings in (must have been raced down a shingle beach!) I have used standard cellulose primer on everything, should I get Hi build primer for the leggies? is it available in cellulose and will it do the job? thanks
I think if the dents aren't to deep you should be able to use cellulose stopper, just apply by lightly spreading then when dry sand down.

Its a popular fix, or was, for small dents and blemishes... But Cellulose is out of favour for the full resto's being rebuilt to original condition. most use Two Pack. Not Original, but easy to use.
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

Cheers J1m, I'll try the stopper. I had a Sprint that was 2pac'd looked the dogs. My idea with this GP is kind of eighties usable rebuild, it is indian after all,a fact I won't try to disguise however unfashionable. Cheers for the advice.
coaster

Some good advice on here so far but I'd be careful with the stopper, it is really only intended for very small blemishes and leave it to dry for the full time it say in the instructions before flatting and painting.

As for the number of top coats, I'd say 5 coats is a MINIMUM for a celly finish unless you are mgood enough not to get orange peel. flatting back even mild orange peel will get rid of 3 to 4 of the coats leaving a 5 coat finish very thin in places. I speak from experience :oops:

The beauty of celly is that it's easy to touch up and chips and scratches.

Just to certain, it is celly you are using and not single pack acrylic? Single pack acrylics do not like , all spray cans tend to be acylic these days :?
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

I found that once you had the spray gun setup the rest was pretty easy, providing as everyone else has pointed out that the preparation was right.

I used an ALDI compressor & the gravity fed gun that came with it and was really happy

this video gave me lots of advice on setting up the gun properly....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ_KP_nd ... re=channel

I then found that "borrowing" certain household racks made the drying (and leaving alone process) much easier. :lol:

Good luck...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information