vehicles of historic interest MOT/TAX/Registering changes

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

Hi

Just read the article in classic scooterist about the change to MOT/ taxation /registering a vehicle of historic interest.

i wondered how this will affect me as im coming to the end of a winter model restoration. (see winter model date post).

the article mentions "substantial changes " so as someone who's gone for a GT casing and kit i thought i'd look into this a bit more.

now unless in reading the article before bed ive missed something but i kind of got the feeling as its in a scooter magazine that it would be something that affects scooters of a certain age.

but after reading the vehicles of historic interest VHI substantial change Guidance im not so sure it does in the way we're lead to believe
see below

The criteria for substantial change
A vehicle will be considered substantially changed if the technical characteristics of
the main components have changed in the previous 30 years, unless the changes
fall into specific categories. These main components for vehicles, other than motorcycles(note 2 below), are:
Axles
Chassis (replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered a
substantial change) or Monocoque bodyshell including any sub-frames
(replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered a substantial
change);
Axles and running gear – alteration of the type and or method of suspension or
steering constitutes a substantial change;
Engine – alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative
original equipment engines are not considered a substantial change. If the number

(note 2 )Further arrangements for motorcycles may be introduced, including if core testing standards are considered
further internationally.

link
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf

so how does everyone else read this then ? as it seems pretty clear to me that changes in the last 30 years to Chassis/Axles/Engines doesn't apply to motorcycles therefore Scooters too.

for me the dept of transport have got this one wrong and made a bureaucratic pot mess of things and overcomplicated matters .

for example

check out this
https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/blog/how ... c-interest
"How To Declare Your Car or Motorcycle as a Vehicle of Historical Interest"
3 April, 2018
if you read down it actually misses out the really important bit to scooterists "for vehicles, other than motorcycles" off the substantial changes paragraph
sloppy article or misinformation designed to confuse for financial gain ? ........you decide !!
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

This is the main point on this. It needs to be clarified. All the chatter about what 'substantially modified ' means is pointless, as the definitions that have been given apply to vehicles 'other than motorcycles' and therefore don't apply.

It's likely that you can draw some inferences from the categorisations that have been applied for the other classes but we need to know whether we're making a correct declaration especially seeing as the onus will be on the owner to decide.

DVSA need to sort this out so we know where we stand.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
wintermod65

seems they changed the definition of substantial changes the show all updates on the gov page reveals

8 December 2017
Final guidance including the altered definition of ‘substantially changed’ historical vehicles and addendum to the original government response correcting a factual error and stating only changes in the last 30 years (on a rolling basis) need be considered.

after they changed the rules for imported vehicles with nova etc and historic mot exemption old vehicle /reconstructed classic the whole lets do a lambretta up has become a lot less fun as the bureaucratic nightmare of dealing with faceless "computer said no" types looms large .

still couldnt see any reference to motorcycles /scooters beyond the link i posted originally thing is if i had gone standard the govt would have got a lot less VAT out of me so what will be the knock on effect of people feeling fearful that they might fill a form in incorrectly in some dvsa/dvla types eyes and just opt to pay tax and MOT in that case
what are the pirates in number 10 really up too??? sort of " you can save £100 " a year on tax an MOT but get it wrong and we'll fine your ass £2500!!!. thats a gamble many might not choose and sort of a catch 22 scenario
wintermod65

funny a car mag includes the phrase about motorcycles !

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news ... d-classics
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information