chroming carb body

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
oggy

Going two start blinging my chop and have seen some carbs chromed,but have heard some horror stories. Any body had it done . good???? :D
oldbiker

Never done it `cos I think it looks a bit naff.

If you like it go for it.
but remember some of the very small drilled holes may become blocked, also you will find many defects in the plating where it has not quite got into the corners etc.
oggy

fair point,but its very visible on my bike and with the rest nice and shiney the carb looks a tad dull :cry: any ideas.
eadmr04

I've heard of problems with chromed carbs before, can't remember what the problems where though. Could you not just have the ally polished, normally looks as good as chrome anyway :?:
nigesx200

i had a chrome carb a few years back,NEVER AGAIN. the bloody thing kept popping off its rubber mount. real pain in the arse :evil:
RICSPEED

things like carbs don't chrome to well ,apart from the fact that they tend to have lots of angles ,holes and general knobbly bits that cant be polished easily,the chrome often wont get in to the corners as (correct me if I'm wrong) hydrogen gas is trapped in corners and this prevents the chrome from adhering
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
oldbiker

RICSPEED wrote:things like carbs don't chrome to well ,apart from the fact that they tend to have lots of angles ,holes and general knobbly bits that cant be polished easily,the chrome often wont get in to the corners as (correct me if I'm wrong) hydrogen gas is trapped in corners and this prevents the chrome from adhering
spot on mate, just like batterys give of gas during charging
GCSE chemistry
see your old text book and ref. Electrolocys (hope that`s spelt right)
oggy

ok i will think on it,cheers :)
Andy

Oggy, strip the carb down and dip it into a hot solution of phosphoric and nitric acid. Around 20-1 mix is fine.
Leave to soak fizz and bubble away for 5 mins and rinse. Wont come out like chrome but will give the ally that new look.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Andy wrote:Oggy, strip the carb down and dip it into a hot solution of phosphoric and nitric acid. Around 20-1 mix is fine.
Leave to soak fizz and bubble away for 5 mins and rinse. Wont come out like chrome but will give the ally that new look.

Isn't the acid just eating away at the alloy of the the carb?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information