chrome frame ring removal

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
mr mugello

Hi .
I really need to replace the original rusty chrome ring . I cannot seem to budge the ring after taking out the race. I was looking at using the heat method. Is it possible to over heat and disstort the frame when doing this? Will a heat gun have enough power to do this job or would I need a blowtorch ? Will I need to heat frame when refitting parts ? Thanks
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Hi used along cold chisel comin from bottom and tap out a bit of heat from the gun will help clean out when re fitting new one use rubber hammer good look
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I had to thrash mine out from the bottom with a long steel bar and a very big hammer. But be carefull what you replace it with! I started by trying to fit a scootopia one that apart from being the wrong shape cut a groove in the back of the headlight. I then spent forty something quid on a Casa one in the belief that as it was Casa and expensive it would fit, well it ain't great I can tell you and about six months down the road I've noticed the Chrome plating is beginning to flake off! With hindsight I would have been better off replating the original one.
mr mugello

Crikey. Thanks for pointers. Making me think to just leave it alone. Patina comes to mind. Nothing is straight foward it with the remade items. Anyone have more experience with the heat method removing.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

The way I have done it in the past is to place a block of wood beneath the ring and tap it all around a bit at a time. eventually it budged.
YAMLAM

i had to replace one for a mate recently. i bought a 1mtre length of 16mm studding, ran a nut down about 35mm then put a rear hub cone on with the larger taper facing up, after heating the fork tube a bit i inserted the studding from the bottom end of the tube and used a club hammer to bash the old ring out, i had to re heat the tube four times before the bugger came out.
win or lose have a booze
mr mugello

Are there anyremade rings as good fit and quality as original about, if damaged removing. Was looking at scootopia ones.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I used an eBay stainless one. Perfect.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I've got a Scootopia one on mine. No problems with it as far as I'm aware. Fit well enough. But time will tell.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the eBay stainless ones are made wrong thus not making it possible to use the steering lock.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information