There's Got To Be a Better Way.

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Anybody got any tips for getting a tight tyre off split rims on a hot day? It's something you could really do without and any tips for making it easier would be welcome.
goldeneye

put some diluted washing up liquid between the rim and tyre, and put some small sockets between the gap in the two halves of the rim, then stand on one side and it should pop off. if the tyre is fooked, cut it off , and dremmell the wire bead off. if your pulling it off, wear some welders gloves , or rigger gloves, saves ya fingernails from a battering. I"ve wrestled easier alligators than some tyres.......S1"s seem to be buggers to get on /off lammy rims.
coaster

Clamping the tyre in a vice or workmate helps to break the grip....I like the sond of the small sockets though, I'll give that a go as well next time 8-)
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

I start like goldeneye by standing on the tyre to get it moving. This has always released the thin half of the rim from the tyre for me. Then I use wd40 between the tyre and remaining rim half, placing it into a bench vice with something inside the tyre like a wrench to stop the freed edge getting squeezed onto the remaining rim. Still takes frinkin ages but at least it saves pulling muscles!
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Go to a tyre depot.
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

Fone corrado and have a set of tubeless with the tyre of your choice delivered.....then when they're done have another set sent :D it'll be expensive with a 0% ball ache.
Yanker

coaster wrote:Clamping the tyre in a vice or workmate helps to break the grip...
Then lever the rim halves out with a Crow-Bar...simples and inexpensive......
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

psychedelicropcircle wrote:PM corrado and have a set of tubeless with the tyre of your choice delivered.....then when they're done have another set sent :D it'll be expensive with a 0% ball ache.
My choice every time. .................. Doom patrol saw the light in the end. 8-)
kejj

Heat the tyre up with a heat gun. Helped me with a stubborn tyre.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information