Reconditioning a light switch

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Does anybody have any tips for cleaning the inside of an LI light switch? Got it to pieces and the body is good. Just wondering what is the best material to clean the rocker switches and contact points. Some sort of spirits and a cotton bud maybe? Perhaps a touch of very light oil? Anybody attempted one?
PeteB
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2 Li 150

Sounds drastic, but I've used aerosol brake and clutch cleaner for jobs like this. A quick blast will remove all old muck, carbon and grease, but so well anything that can corrode will need a touch of WD40 or similar afterwards
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

This stuff
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Ihateyoubutler

I used some silicone grease on the rockers, on a couple I've done, and they work fine.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

look out for loose pillars through the bakelite. if they move the ball bearing in the end can pop out. you can pien over the end to rivet it back or drill through and bolt it back in place. a bit of fine wet and dry will clean off any tarnish or pitting off the brass. then a spot of silicon grease will make sure it all clicks without forcing it.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

rosscla wrote:This stuff
That sounds just the thing. I think I'll give that a try.

It's just dirty and dry I think. The rocker switches seem to move positively so hopefully that might be all it needs.
warts
Main scooter: honda

Tooth brushes, in particular the inter-dental ones are very useful for helping remove crud.
That servisol is good. Don't they do a cleaner spray and a lube spray?
WD40 works too, but lube effect is usually short lived.
Some older plastics can react badly to sprays.
A squib into the cap usually gives you enough of the active ingredient to apply direct to the contacts. Placed with a cocktail stick/tooth pick/sharpened match.

At a pinch, white spirit (with a dab Vaseline dissolved) can be just as good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information